cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8021x mac-auth-bypass and active directory password policy

t-heeter
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently using 8021x mac authentication bypass to authenticate client machines against active directory using IAS. I have also implemented dynamic VLAN assignment. Everything works great.

The problem is that the username/password combination (which is the mac address of the client machine, all lower case) does not meet the domain password policy. It would be great to be able to change the policy for a particular group, but a policy change is domain wide. The only other option I can think of is to disable the policy, add the mac address account, then reenable the policy. Only problem with that is the password still expires after 120 days. Removing the password policy all together is not an option.

Any ideas for a workaround for this? Should I be looking into a cisco solution for authentication?

2 Replies 2

darpotter
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

Switching from IAS to ACS wouldnt really help you unless you wanted to have MAC users in the local ACS database because otherwise ACS would fire the requests at your AD and you're back to square one.

If you dont mind have the users in ACSs own DB then it would work for you.

Darran

Thanks, that's about what I figured.