cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS 4.2 and AP auth problem

js88888888
Level 1
Level 1

I am testing authentication via ACS across the network and am hitting a snag with an AP.

An 1131 AP auth's fine with our existing ACS server but will not on new ACS server. I get "External DB user invalid or bad password" for this AP on new ACS box. I have been authenticating a 3750 to the new ACS box w/o problems.

The error doesn't make sense as I'm logging in to other devices OK through the same ACS box.

any ideas?

thanks!

1 Reply 1

Jatin Katyal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Well, the error we are getting

"External DB user invalid or bad password" means External DB (i.e., Windows or any other external db configured with ACS) sent the message back to ACS server the user who is trying to authenticate, either username or password or both provided by user is not found/matched with the users present in the database. ACS talks with windows AD in terms of codes, and ACS interprets these codes and displays them in the passed/failed logs of ACS server. Most of the times this could be find as permission issue with ACS installation.

As you said that other devices are working fine with same account and same ACS box. I would also like you to retype/double check the shared secret key on both the sides (ACS and AP).

Hope this helps.

~Jatin