cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS 4.2 - Internal Error

iholdings
Level 1
Level 1

As of yesterday, the Failed Authentication log is showing Internal Error when people are attempting to authenticate using their AD credentials.  Up until a few weeks ago, the ACS server (windows 2003 SP2) was configured with two DNS server/controllers - one was Win2003 and the other was Win2008.

The Win2003 controller was demoted and replaced with a 2008-R2 controller - but this Internal Error issue only surfaced yesterday.

If I reboot the ACS server - normal authentications using AD recover for a short time - but then the problem re-emerges.

Any ideas??

6 Replies 6

andamani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi,

ACS 4.2 does not support win 2k8 R2. you will have to upgrade to ACS 5.2 for the same.

Internal error usually comes when the ACS is not able to identify the error code or reason.

Please upgrade to ACS 5.2.

Release notes of ACS 5.2 mention that the following bug is resolved in ACS 5.2.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_system/5.2/release/notes/acs_52_rn.html

CSCtg12399

ACS 5.1 did not support 2008 R2 Server for AD.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anisha.

P.S.: please mark this thread as resolved if you feel your query is resolved. Do rate helpful posts.

Is that a one-stop upgrade or do I need to take it to a 4.x or 5.x before going to 5.2?

Hi,

Is this ACS for Windows or ACS appliance?

Regards,

Anisha.

P.S.:  please mark this thread as resolved if you feel your query is resolved.  Do rate helpful posts.

Windows.  4.2 currently rides on Win2003-SP2.

Hi,

The following link describes the migration from ACS 4.2 to ACS 5.2.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_system/5.2/user/guide/migrate.html

Hope this helps.

P.S.: please mark this thread as answered if you feel your query is resolved. Do rate helpful posts.

Thanks.  I'll read it over.

Still strange that this only surfaced now after a couple of weeks using AD 2008 and 2008R2

Thanks again

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: