Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS 5.3 Dot1x for Wired/Wireless

shrazar85
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Community,

I have a query regarding ACS 5.3 installation. I have wired and wireless clients in my setup, with Nexus 5k and 45k Switches and WLC-5508. Also we are using MicroSoft AD to authenticate clients for Network access.

My questions are

1.       Can we configure dot1x in this scenario to use Password only (no certificates needed at all)? OR we must need certificates in order to config it perfectly (like AD and ACS synch issues etc)?

2.       If Yes can someone point out to any good docs that can help  ?

Regards,
Hammad

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jatin Katyal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HI Hammad,

1.] Password based authentication for dot1x can be done with PEAP mschapv2 and that does require certificate atleast on the server side. If you would like to use option "validate server certificate" then you need to install the root/subordinate certificate on the client side as well.

ACS doesn't use certificate to talk to AD. It uses special agent called Adagent.

2.] Here are few useful documents:

ACS 5.x and later: Integration with Microsoft Active Directory Configuration Example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9911/products_configuration_example09186a0080bc6506.shtml

PEAP under Unified Wireless Networks with ACS 5.1 and Windows 2003 Server

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_configuration_example09186a0080b4cdb9.shtml

~BR
Jatin Katyal

**Do rate helpful posts**

~Jatin

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jatin Katyal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HI Hammad,

1.] Password based authentication for dot1x can be done with PEAP mschapv2 and that does require certificate atleast on the server side. If you would like to use option "validate server certificate" then you need to install the root/subordinate certificate on the client side as well.

ACS doesn't use certificate to talk to AD. It uses special agent called Adagent.

2.] Here are few useful documents:

ACS 5.x and later: Integration with Microsoft Active Directory Configuration Example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9911/products_configuration_example09186a0080bc6506.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_configuration_example09186a0080b4cdb9.shtml

~BR
Jatin Katyal

~Jatin

Hi Jatin,

Thanks for the reply. Actually I am configurting this fresh setup for Network Access.

I started configuring ACS 5.3 and initially I was able to synch with AD and can see AD users/groups.

But as soon as I started installing certificates on ACS then ACS server stops Synching with AD and shows error Connection to domain failed and in further info I got "LDAP/UDP Status Error". Also adclient shows execution failed in cli.

Now, I have installed ACS 5.4 and right now connection testing is fine with AD. 

1. You mentioned above that for DOT1X configs, ACS must exchange certificate with AD? (correct me if I am wrong)
  2. Should we install certificate first and then connect with AD ? or vice versa?
  3. any suggestions to avoid happening this adclient issue?

Regards

Hammad

There might be some other reaso for services got stuck. However, ACS doesn't use any certificate to communicate with AD.

Integrating ACS and AD first and installing certificate later should not be an issue.

how exactly are you installing certificates. Please explain.

~BR
Jatin Katyal

~Jatin

Hi Jatin,

I am using the following steps

•1.       Get AD root Certificate

•2.       Install root Cert on ACS

•3.       Generate ACS Certificate Request and copy the value

•4.       Generate new Certficate on AD by copy/paste certificate value from ACS

•5.       Copy newly generated certificate from AD in ACS local

•6.       Bind this new AD certificate in the ACS

Also can you plz explain further

"1.] Password based authentication for dot1x can be done with PEAP mschapv2 and that does require certificate atleast on the server side" (why we need this certificates).

Regards,

Hammad

I've attached 2 documents for your reference. Please review those for better understanding.

1.] How to integrate ACS with AD.

2.] Configuring Peap mschapv2 on ACS

~BR
Jatin Katyal

~Jatin

Thanks Jatin for support. I will follow these first and then will let you know about the progress.

Regards,

hammad

Hi Jatin,

Thanks for the tips earlier. However I installed ACS 5.4 and then configure the server from scratch.

I am getting MAB as well as Dot1X authentication. But for two different users getting two different results for DOT1X, Wondering why is this happening? is it a ACS/Switch config issue or is it related to AD?

I am finding one user is getting perfectly authenticated while the Other is showing "Authorization failed" yet still able to access the NW.

#$cation sessions interface tenGigabitEthernet 1/1/12

Interface: TenGigabitEthernet1/1/12

MAC Address: 28d2.4421.109c

IP Address: 10.160.193.100

User-Name: ABC\shuser

Domain: DATA

Security Policy: Should Secure

Security Status: Unsecure

Oper host mode: multi-auth

Oper control dir: both

Authorized By: Authentication Server

Vlan Policy: N/A