Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS 5.8 Fresh install on ESX 5.5 with services failing

Brian O'Flynn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am setting up ACS 5.8 for the first time on ESX5.5 and cannot even get to the point where I can enter the license details.  When I look at the services, I see the following:

Process 'database'         running

Process 'management'   running(HTTP is unresponsive)

Process 'runtime'            not monitored

Process 'adclient'            running

process 'ntpd'                   running

I have managed to get the management process to the running state by a lot of stopping and starting of services.  That did get me to the point where I could run the acs config-web-interface migration enable and get a login screen but when I logged in with the acsadmin/default credentials, it just brought me to an internal resource error page.  The runtime process when I try to start it will go to initializing, restarting and eventually not monitored again. 

This was rebuilt twice and the same results each time.  So I downloaded 5.8.1 and tried that instead, same results again.  I am not doing the install myself as another team manages the esx side of things but I gave him the cisco guide and he is an experienced guy so not concerned he is doing something wrong.  There is 4G of RAM assigned, 4 cores and 500GB storage. 

Anybody else come across this issue or any suggestion why it would behave like this when it is a fresh install?

Cheers

Brian

6 Replies 6

lgangitano
Level 1
Level 1

Got the same behaviour since we installed a couple of VMs with 5.8.1 from scratch. Applied patch 5.8.0.32.5 with no success.

In our environment this happens every saturday morning. I keep on restarting the 'runtime' service until it finally stays up for more than 15 seconds.

I could not find any error in ADE.log or acsRuntime.log, so I don't know where this is coming from.

Does 5.8.0.32.5 not cause high CPU on your system?

I cannot confirm, right we are on 5.8.0.32.6 and I don't see any CPU issues. Also, since the last 10 days it has been stable. Fingers crossed.

What about memory usage? I'm experiencing 90% on 5.8.1.4.4 but the user guide states it may be normal.

No memory issues with 5.8.1.4.6, I'm at 55% on the log collector and 25% on other servers.

Just incase anyone is coming across a similar experience to the above, I got this setup on different hardware with ESX 6.5 and it worked fine.