cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Android 8.0 Oreo onboarding portal redirect failure

mediaworksnz
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, regarding wifi on-boarding, I have noticed that Android 8.0 Oreo has issues with captive portal URL redirection i.e. after initial log in to a captive portal, user authenticates, then is unable to be auto redirected to an additional URL.

I am interested in how do you guys cope with this ?

Thanks for any advice.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I think I have found the issue:

and

i.e. the problem seems to be that Android 8.0 uses a pseudo browser when it detects a captive portal i.e. SSID connection but no Internet connectivity. This pseudo browser used by Android does not handle URL redirects or other extended functionality. 
Surely, there must be others who have encountered this with onboarding ?
I suspect the solution is simply to allow ACL access to the Internet connectivity test sites that Android uses. This will then make Android load a regular browser that handles URL redirects instead of a pseudo browser.
Anyone agree or disagree with me here ?
Thanks kindly for any assistance.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Can you please provide more information?

Is it just this specific device type having problem?
What version of ise?
What type of portal?
Does it work fine if you just send to a success page?

I think I have found the issue:

and

i.e. the problem seems to be that Android 8.0 uses a pseudo browser when it detects a captive portal i.e. SSID connection but no Internet connectivity. This pseudo browser used by Android does not handle URL redirects or other extended functionality. 
Surely, there must be others who have encountered this with onboarding ?
I suspect the solution is simply to allow ACL access to the Internet connectivity test sites that Android uses. This will then make Android load a regular browser that handles URL redirects instead of a pseudo browser.
Anyone agree or disagree with me here ?
Thanks kindly for any assistance.

Perhaps. When you do this however please keep in mind that the user will have to manually launch their browser instead of device auto popping browser when they first hit your guest portal