cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

API scalability

martucci
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have a customer that is looking to populate NAD via API (mainly to keep in sync 2 standalone and independent deployments).

What would be the scalability of the API? They have about 2000 devices, and looking to possibly have an API syncup once a day.

I think it should be ok, but I just wanted to check before giving an answer.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Craig Hyps
Level 10
Level 10

We don't perform perf and scale testing for every possible API.  For most API transactions related to internal users, endpoints, and guests, the rate is around 25/sec.  To keep two deployments in sync, assume you will need to do a retrieval followed by create/update/delete operation. 

There are Bulk Monitor and Bulk Request operations available for Network Devices, so extrapolating results for guests/endpoints, you may realize a 3-4 increase in scale.  Again, I do not have specific results for NADs, so your mileage may vary.

/Craig

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am looking into this. It seems ERS for NAD not yet tested for performance. Also, my NADs created by ERS in ISE 2.3 have odd IDs.

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It turns out that ERS-created NADs will have proper-looking IDs if id is not specified in the POST/PUT data. I will check with DE on this further.

Using an internal script, my standalone ISE 2.3 in the lab is able to complete updating 500 NADs in 3 minutes, where 500 is the max bulk size.

Please note an known issue in bulk delete via ERS API for NADs.

Craig Hyps
Level 10
Level 10

We don't perform perf and scale testing for every possible API.  For most API transactions related to internal users, endpoints, and guests, the rate is around 25/sec.  To keep two deployments in sync, assume you will need to do a retrieval followed by create/update/delete operation. 

There are Bulk Monitor and Bulk Request operations available for Network Devices, so extrapolating results for guests/endpoints, you may realize a 3-4 increase in scale.  Again, I do not have specific results for NADs, so your mileage may vary.

/Craig

Thanks,

I just wanted to have a rough idea in case we had some general guidelines