Views
Helpful
Replies

Applying a Log4j patch in a Distributed Environment

Lucas Woo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

As a title, I run a ISE in a Distributed Environment, which are Primary and Secondary.

I applied a Log4j patch to Primary node, but I couldn`t find a specific way to do it to a Secondary one.

------------------------------------------
●Primary node
# show logging application hotpatch.log
Mon May 9 hh:mm:ss UTC 2022 => CSCwa47133_all_common_1 => CSCwa47133

●Secondary node
# show logging application hotpatch.log
% Error: No such log file.
------------------------------------------

Also, I tried to make repository in a secondary node, but I can`t find the specific area to make it.

Do I have to applying a Log4j patch in a Secondary node in the first place? or Is there any way to apply it?

log4j.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Charlie Moreton
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, you need to apply the hotpatch on EVERY NODE in the deployment.  From the CLI, enter config mode (config t) then configure the repository in which the Log4j hotpatch resides.

repository <<repository name>>

url <<repository path - for example ftp://10.0.0.1>>
user <<username>> password plain (or hash) <<password>>

Which version of ISE?  ISE 3.0 Patch 5 and ISE 3.1 Patch 3 have the Log4j fix in them so installing the patch through the normal methods will effectively fix the Log4j issues on all nodes.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...but I couldn`t find a specific way to do it to a Secondary one.

Why not ? The cli command sequence is just the same.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Charlie Moreton
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, you need to apply the hotpatch on EVERY NODE in the deployment.  From the CLI, enter config mode (config t) then configure the repository in which the Log4j hotpatch resides.

repository <<repository name>>

url <<repository path - for example ftp://10.0.0.1>>
user <<username>> password plain (or hash) <<password>>

Which version of ISE?  ISE 3.0 Patch 5 and ISE 3.1 Patch 3 have the Log4j fix in them so installing the patch through the normal methods will effectively fix the Log4j issues on all nodes.

@Charlie Moreton 
Thank you for reply.

I could configure the repository in CLI and install Log4j patch successfully.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: