cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Authenticate endpoints using trusted certificate while ISE is down

Kacker
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking to see if it's possible for a C9300 to authenticate/authorize endpoints with certificates signed by a trusted CA while ISE is down. Below is my current policy-map for ISE being down

event authentication-failure match-first
10 class ISE_SVR_DOWN_AUTHD_HOST do-until-failure
10 pause reauthentication
20 authorize
20 class ISE_SVR_DOWN_UNAUTHD_HOST do-until-failure
10 activate service-template Internet-Only-Template

class ISE_SVR_DOWN_AUTHD_HOST is matching "result-type aaa timeout" and "authorization-status authorized" to maintain the current authorization status of an endpoint, whether it's a workstation, VoIP, wired IoT, etc.

class ISE_SVR_DOWN_UNAUTHD_HOST is matching "result-type aaa timeout" and "authorization-status unauthorized" which will activate a template that denies traffic to private IPs (excluding DHCP) and allows internet-traffic for wired guests.

This has worked well so far, but a power-failure event on the switch will eliminate the authorized status of endpoints. If this happens, corporate endpoints are only able to reach the internet. I'm trying to avoid re-initiated VLANs as there's no telling if a guest or corporate endpoint is connected on the switch interface.

Is there a way to have the 9300 check for certificates and authorize devices based on certificates signed by a trusted CA?

4 Replies 4

No, the switch does not terminate EAP.

Thank you for your response. Knowing this, do you have an recommendations for allowing access to corporate VLANs during an ISE outage without allowing unintended guests access to the same VLAN?

A couple of options:

• Apply an ACL that is a balance of necessary corporate access while not being totally open to potential guest endpoints
  • Statically configure VLANs/Access for guest endpoints (don't rely on ISE to assign if this endpoint is guest or not).
  • Accept this as a security risk if ISE is down.  Have proper HA/distributed deployment to handle any ISE outages.  Also a robust WAN with proper failover to mitigate. 

I appreciate the helpful tips. It seems this will be an accepted risk considering the scenario. Thank you for the feedback!