Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic question about licensing ISE with the new licenses

NHanstein
Level 1
Level 1

Hi community,

I have a General Question regarding the "Basic" licensing of the ISE.

We have now have similar to the DNA licenese:

- Essentials

- Advanage

- Premier

License band, different Terms and so on.

But:

Do I Need a License per device (like a switch) plus a License for an end device (like a Notebook)?

Sorry, but I don´t get it.

Thank you and Kind regards 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

you don't need a license for the NAS (switch/wlc/etc) - you need licenses for each authenticated client device (e.g. successful 802.1X/MAB auth) - other features like Profiling, posture, BYOD etc will also consume licenses - see the previous message. Basically, licenses are needed for client sessions and services - the more sessions, the more licenses.

If you want TACACS+ then you need license too. And of course, if you run ISE as a VM then each VM needs a license.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi @NHanstein 

please take a look of the following: ISE Ordering Guide and AnyConnect Ordering Guide.

ISE licensing packages:

• Essentials
    - AAA and 802.1X
    - Guest (Hotspot, Self-Reg, Sponsored)
    - Easy Connect (PassiveID)
  • Advantage
    - Context Sharing (pxGrid Out/In)
    - Profiling
    - EA Visibility
    - Location Visibility and Enforcement
    - BYOD (+CA, +MDP)
    - Group Based Policy (TrustSec)
  • Premier - Compliance, Full Stack ()
    - RTC (ANC)
    - Posture
    - MDM Compliance
    - TC-NAC
    - EA Enforcement
    - Cloud (User Defined Network)

Note: you must have an AnyConnect Apex license, when AnyConnect is used as an Agent of Posture.

Hope this helps !!!

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

you don't need a license for the NAS (switch/wlc/etc) - you need licenses for each authenticated client device (e.g. successful 802.1X/MAB auth) - other features like Profiling, posture, BYOD etc will also consume licenses - see the previous message. Basically, licenses are needed for client sessions and services - the more sessions, the more licenses.

If you want TACACS+ then you need license too. And of course, if you run ISE as a VM then each VM needs a license.