cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I keep the using the default self signed certificate for PEAP?

dan hale
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, I posted a similar question about certificates but, this is more of do I need to have the EAP CSR signed....

I have a small ISE 2.4 install with Windows 10 clients. On the client side in windows we are not checking the "validate server certificate". I know this is necessarily not secure. If that is the case do I still need to generate a CSR and get the EAP certificate signed by a CA? Can I just leave it binded to the default self signed certificate if I'm not validating it in windows?

Thanks,

Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

You can use the default self-signed ISE cert for the EAP role.  But I would still create a new CSR for a self-signed cert and make it valid for 5 years or so. Because out of the box, ISE certs are only valid for 1 year.  Just do it now and save yourself the toruble later on.  Remember that the EAP cert can be handled separately from the other roles like Admin, Web Portals etc.  Creating a new EAP cert won't restart any services.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

You can use the default self-signed ISE cert for the EAP role.  But I would still create a new CSR for a self-signed cert and make it valid for 5 years or so. Because out of the box, ISE certs are only valid for 1 year.  Just do it now and save yourself the toruble later on.  Remember that the EAP cert can be handled separately from the other roles like Admin, Web Portals etc.  Creating a new EAP cert won't restart any services.