Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA TACACS+ with ISE

vsurresh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I have been testing ASA tacacs+ with ISE for authentication and authorization. I am able to SSH into the ASA using a user exists in AD. After I enabled aaa authorization command ISE-TACACS, I can not run any commands. ISE TACACS+ reports show the username as 'INVALID' for type: Authorization. (Please see the screenshots)

• I can SSH and see the ISE report that the correct policy is assigned. 
  • When I run any command, tacacs+ request goes to ISE with the username of 'INVALID' and eventually fails. 

asa-01# show interface ip brief 
Command authorization failed
aaa-server ISE-TACACS protocol tacacs+
aaa-server ISE-TACACS (MGMT) 10.10.0.100
  key ******

aaa authentication ssh console ISE-TACACS LOCAL
aaa authorization command ISE-TACACS

EDIT - If I disclose invalid usernames then the username shows as 'enable_15'

Any idea?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

According to your screenshots it looks like you are using the default shell profile.  Please create a new shell profile with the appropriate priv level you wish to utilize for your scenario.  Work Centers->Device Administration->Policy Elements->Results->TACACS Profiles.  Then in your authz policy reference that new shell profile instead of the default one.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

According to your screenshots it looks like you are using the default shell profile.  Please create a new shell profile with the appropriate priv level you wish to utilize for your scenario.  Work Centers->Device Administration->Policy Elements->Results->TACACS Profiles.  Then in your authz policy reference that new shell profile instead of the default one.  

Thanks, Mike. I did that too but the issue is the same. (screenshot attached) 

I don't understand why the command authorization request is sent out with the username of 'enable_15'.

Thanks

Sorry. Creating a shell profile actually fixed the issue. It took 1 or 2 minutes.

Appreciate your help.