Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE compatibility 2.4 patch 9

StoneCanel1
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

Quick question. Regarding Cisco ISE compatibility which source of truth do you believe?

Let's say for instance for ISE 2.4 patch 9. I refer to this document: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-4/compatibility/b_ise_sdt_24.html#supportedciscoaccessswitches

However, when checking out release notes for IOS upgrades. They may not agree with the above document and say IOS X is compatible with ISE 2.7.

So i'm scratching my head as to what document I believe so I can get some IOS upgrades happening.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi @StoneCanel1 ,

it's a trick question : )

1st remember that (Release Notes for Cisco ISE 2.7

Cisco ISE Release 2.7, has parity with the Cisco ISE patch release: 2.2 Patch 15, 2.3 Patch 7, 2.4 Patch 10, 2.6 Patch 2.

2nd remember that ISE 2.4 latest patch is 14. (ISE 2.4 Software Download)

3rd take a look at Cisco ISE Network Component Compatibility, Release 2.4, updated on May 21, 2019, search for:

Table 11, in this case you have an specific information (Cisco ISE 2.4 Patch 9, Patch 11 ...)

. Table 2, search for Catalyst 1000, in this case you have a validated IOS 15.2(7)E3 (the same info if you take a look at Cisco ISE Network Component Compatibility, Release 2.7), but a different info if you take a look at Release Notes for Cisco Catalyst 1000 Series Switches Cisco IOS Release 15.2(7)Ex, search for Cisco IOS Release 15.2(7)E3 (ISE compatibility is 3.0).

My understanding to the "3rd Table 2 problem" is: I am confident that Catalyst 1000 IOS Release 15.2(7)E3 is compatible with ISE 3.0+, probably works since ISE 2.4 and is a not go on ISE 2.3 and earlier.

Hope this helps !!!

View solution in original post

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Read the very first sentence of that Compatibility Guide.

Cisco Identity Services Engine (ISE) is a RADIUS and TACACS server.

ISE supports any network device that has a RADIUS or TACACS client.

See Does ISE Support My Network Access Device? 

Brought to you by Cisco - the company built on Internet protocol interoperability.   8-)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>....They may not agree with the above document 

- They may or they do ? Meaning do you have examples of such a statement in Release Notes. Anyway if Release Notes for new IOS mention ISE 2.7 explicitly  , I would be more ready to believe that for certainty. Taking into account that 2.4 is getting older too.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hi @StoneCanel1 ,

it's a trick question : )

1st remember that (Release Notes for Cisco ISE 2.7

Cisco ISE Release 2.7, has parity with the Cisco ISE patch release: 2.2 Patch 15, 2.3 Patch 7, 2.4 Patch 10, 2.6 Patch 2.

2nd remember that ISE 2.4 latest patch is 14. (ISE 2.4 Software Download)

3rd take a look at Cisco ISE Network Component Compatibility, Release 2.4, updated on May 21, 2019, search for:

Table 11, in this case you have an specific information (Cisco ISE 2.4 Patch 9, Patch 11 ...)

. Table 2, search for Catalyst 1000, in this case you have a validated IOS 15.2(7)E3 (the same info if you take a look at Cisco ISE Network Component Compatibility, Release 2.7), but a different info if you take a look at Release Notes for Cisco Catalyst 1000 Series Switches Cisco IOS Release 15.2(7)Ex, search for Cisco IOS Release 15.2(7)E3 (ISE compatibility is 3.0).

My understanding to the "3rd Table 2 problem" is: I am confident that Catalyst 1000 IOS Release 15.2(7)E3 is compatible with ISE 3.0+, probably works since ISE 2.4 and is a not go on ISE 2.3 and earlier.

Hope this helps !!!

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Read the very first sentence of that Compatibility Guide.

Cisco Identity Services Engine (ISE) is a RADIUS and TACACS server.

ISE supports any network device that has a RADIUS or TACACS client.

See Does ISE Support My Network Access Device? 

Brought to you by Cisco - the company built on Internet protocol interoperability.   8-)