Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE VM move

Dear community,

I plan to move my actual ISE appliance to another farm. What is the best way to not lose the license? 

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi cata.patru@gmail.com

The subject of this question is a bit confusing.  Are you moving VM from Host A to Host B?  If so, then nothing changes.  The .vmdk is still the same disk and you should be able to move the .vmx file across that contains all the VM hardware information.  You're just hosting it on another ESXi host (I am assuming VMWare here).

But if you are migrating from an SNS-3xxx series hardware appliance to VM, then of course your UDI will change and you will need to re-host as Damien already said.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
If the UDI/serial of the VM changes you will not "lose" the license but the licenses will no longer be valid. You are still entitled to the licenses you bought. If you or someone available to you originally fulfilled the PAK through the license portal, then you can rehost the license with new serial numbers in about 3 minutes.

If you do not know who originally fulfilled the licenses, you can contact TAC and have them reissued. They will probably ask for the sales order they were bought on.

Hi cata.patru@gmail.com

The subject of this question is a bit confusing.  Are you moving VM from Host A to Host B?  If so, then nothing changes.  The .vmdk is still the same disk and you should be able to move the .vmx file across that contains all the VM hardware information.  You're just hosting it on another ESXi host (I am assuming VMWare here).

But if you are migrating from an SNS-3xxx series hardware appliance to VM, then of course your UDI will change and you will need to re-host as Damien already said.

You raise a good point, I don't know enough about what causes a UDI change.
I played around with this a bit tonight and I always assumed that when a mac changed, the UDI changed with it. I remember this being a painful piece with early call manager releases. But it doesn't seem like ISE isn't nearly as picky in this regard. I can't get the serial to change on my lab install, regardless of what resources and hardware I remove/add. To be fair, I only tried adding/removing nics, changing CPU, and RAM.