cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE VM resource increase

umeshunited
Level 1
Level 1

We are running two instances of Cisco ISE 2.4 on VM , having 4 CPU and 16G RAM and 200 G HD.

Two nodes 1. Admin (Pri) , MnT (Bac) , PSN   2. Admin (Bac) , MnT(Pri) , PSN.

Checking VM requirements , came to know that we need to increase resources.

Do we need to reinstall application for that ?

Or Stopping ISE services , increasing resources, restarting ISE services will work ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can change memory and CPU After shutdown. Ise should recognize increase after turned on again

For storage increase you must install new node

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Changing ram and vcpu allocations do not require a reinstall. You will have to shut the vm down completely though. To do this you can issue the single command 'halt'.

If you wish to expand the disk, you have to reinstall from iso or redeploy the appropriate ova. If you do a node at a time then you won't have to rebuild or restore the config. You will lose historical logs. 

How do I plan this upgrade ?

I have two nodes. Do I need to spin another (third) instance of VM (with recommended resources) ?

Or i can unregister and shut second node ( Admin ( secondary) , Primary (MnT) ). increase it's resources, re install and register it.

You can change memory and CPU After shutdown. Ise should recognize increase after turned on again

For storage increase you must install new node

Hi,

If I have to upgrade from 2.7 to 3.0 and that also calls for disk expansion then I don't have any option other than rebuilding the new ISE cube, right?

reinstalling and redeploying one node at a time won't work.

-SM

There is no way to do a seamless change of the disk size and upgrade at the same time. If you have a fully distributed deployment, you could remove the Secondary PAN from the cluster, rebuild it and join it back to the cluster, and promote it to Primary. Repeat the process for the other PAN. Once the PAN disks are updated, you can upgrade the Secondary PAN to 3.0 via the CLI per the sequence in the upgrade guide. For all remaining Secondary (non-PAN) nodes, you would need to remove them from the old cluster, rebuild them, then join them to the new 3.0 PAN.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: