cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do access switches need to be compatible with ISE to deploy Wireless

Louis Moreno
Level 1
Level 1

We are currently in the planning stages to implement ISE. We have however a project to refresh the wireless hardware and I was wondering if I must upgrade the access layer switches in order to get ISE going?

thanks in advance,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

As Hsing-Tsu mentioned any switch will work. So unless you plan to authenticate wired endpoints via the access switch it does not need to be compliant. The distribution and core certainly does not matter. If only wireless endpoints are being authenticated by ISE then only wireless infrastructure needs to be compatible with ISE.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

gbekmezi-DD
Level 5
Level 5

If your intent is a wireless only ISE deployment, then the only requirements for your switches would be specific to the access points connecting to them. Things like trunk support if doing FlexConnect and PoE as required.

George

Thanks for your reply George!

What it is, is that I have a wireless hardware refresh project and a full Enterprise ISE implementation. However, I would like to stand up the wireless piece first with ISE while at the same time, finish up the wireless network hardware refresh project but having the ISE implementation at my Enterprise in mind.

So with that said, I am working on getting the access, dist, and core ready to make it ISE compatible but my question is pointing toward the access layer switches and if I need to get them to be IOS compliant for the ISE implementation or not.

thanks again,

As Hsing-Tsu mentioned any switch will work. So unless you plan to authenticate wired endpoints via the access switch it does not need to be compliant. The distribution and core certainly does not matter. If only wireless endpoints are being authenticated by ISE then only wireless infrastructure needs to be compatible with ISE.

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It's possible to use one single VLAN for all -- management,  client VLAN, and AP -- then practically any switch would work, but it  is not recommended or much tested. APs needs not a direct VLAN to the WLC but it needs somehow able to discover and associate with WLC. I would suggest you to contact our wireless support teams for more info.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: