Views
Helpful
Replies

Excessive memory consumption in ISE

OSCAR RODRIGUEZ
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

From version 2.1 to version 2.4, I have been observing that the memory consumption of my ISE is very high, and it is increasing. Can you tell me how to solve this problem?

Regards,

Óscar

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

From internal discussions..."Linux caches files in memory in order to reduce access times. Thee files can remain cached for extended periods of time. Newer versions of RedHat Linux manage memory differently than earlier versions. It is common to see high memory usage AND swap usage even if there is no contention for memory. Generally speaking, as long as the memory usage is below 90% AND specifically, if there is no impact to ISE's functions (such as slow GUI, latency in authenitcation/authorization flows), there is no cause for concern."

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is a troubleshooting issue please work with tac

From internal discussions..."Linux caches files in memory in order to reduce access times. Thee files can remain cached for extended periods of time. Newer versions of RedHat Linux manage memory differently than earlier versions. It is common to see high memory usage AND swap usage even if there is no contention for memory. Generally speaking, as long as the memory usage is below 90% AND specifically, if there is no impact to ISE's functions (such as slow GUI, latency in authenitcation/authorization flows), there is no cause for concern."

Thank you, you leave me more calm.

Regards

@Craig Hyps The memory utilization on 3515 running 2.4 patch 8 jumps up to 82 percent and then the system summary doesn't display. If this node happens to be the Primary PAN, the Administration-> Backup & Restore UI doesn't display and weekly scheduled backup fails too. 

Similar behavior was seen on medium capacity VM. TAC isn't really useful here. Any further recommendations?  

In my experience, memory utilization under 90% doesn't cause any issues.  I had a customer recently that had this one appliance that experienced a memory leak.  Memory utilization would slowly increase over the course of about 2 weeks and then we would reboot the appliance around 90%.  If we forgot to reboot, the PSN would stop handling authentications and would be very slow to respond.  But nothing like what you describe where only certain pages stop displaying.  I know you know this, but have you tried a different browser to see if those screens show up?

Other than that, I would recommend a clean rebuild of the node and see if that resolves the issue you are seeing.  In my customer's situation, they rebuilt but the memory issue came back so I suspect a hardware problem in their situation.  Specifically since other PSNs on the same hardware and same deployment were not having an issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: