Views
Helpful
Replies

Failover ACS Server and Wireless

Craig Le-Butt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We are using the ACS 4.2 Appliance as the Primary AA and a Win 2003 server with ACS 4.2 on as Secondary.

Last time we tried a fail over test by stopping the services on the Primary, no new clients could connect to the Wirelss Network, as the appliance was still up but the services were down.  Once we turned the Appliance off the clients authenticated via the 2nd box.

Is there a way round if the services stop on one box the wireless controllers authenticate via the secondary ACS?

Cheers

Craig

1 Reply 1

andamani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I am a bit confused with the topology of yours.This is what i understand:

You have two ACS appliances running ACS 4.2. They are configured in replication and fallback in the wireless network.

The authentication is to happen via the AD. so the ACS Appliances are to talk to AD for authentication.

The issue you faced last time while testing the fallback was the users did not authenticate at all despite the primary was down and secondary up. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Question for you is how did you stop the services of the primary appliance?

fallback will happen when the primary is down i.e. not reachable and the request will then be forwarded to the secondary ACS. It should work if the wlc is configured with primary and secondary authentication server in your wlc.

Please check if the authentication servers are defined in your WLC i.e. Wlan > edit > security > AAA server.

Regards,

Anisha

P.S.: please mark this link as answered if you feel your query was answered.