Views
Helpful
Replies

Guest Access using QR Codes

InfraISE2020
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We currently have a Guest Portal with a single username and password (local on ISE) used for guest authentication (not ideal I know). We would like to create a QR code that guests can scan, automatically connect to our guest SSID and automatically log in without having to enter the username/password manually. 

Has anyone managed to achieve this and can send through any additional information/links? 

We're running ISE 3.1 and have Meraki APs if that matters. 

TIA. 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It's pretty easy to do using QR code services on the internet or you may run your own script to do this with Python or Javascript libraries.  I provide several examples of how to use QR codes in my https://github.com/1homas/QR_Codes repository including one for WiFi: qr_wifi.py

View solution in original post

Yes, I said "It's pretty easy to do using QR code services on the internet" : wifi qr code generator free

Please read the header of qr_wifi.py which provides a link to a wikipedia page explaining the underlying QR code string format which does not include a username. 

I have never seen a QR code for username and password authentication.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It's pretty easy to do using QR code services on the internet or you may run your own script to do this with Python or Javascript libraries.  I provide several examples of how to use QR codes in my https://github.com/1homas/QR_Codes repository including one for WiFi: qr_wifi.py

Hi @thomas 

Thanks for the quick response. Your examples do not include the username, do you know if this is easily enough to add into the code? 

I'll be honest I've never used Python or Javascript libraries. Are you aware of any customizable sites online where you can generate a QR code that includes the SSID, username and password?

Thanks

Yes, I said "It's pretty easy to do using QR code services on the internet" : wifi qr code generator free

Please read the header of qr_wifi.py which provides a link to a wikipedia page explaining the underlying QR code string format which does not include a username. 

I have never seen a QR code for username and password authentication.