Views
Helpful
Replies

Guest Portal authentication

M.Qadory
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone ,

we are using cisco ISE 2.7 in our network for Guest portal page authentication with self registration for wireless users and everything works fine,

Since one week ago we have tested the Ver 3.1 to migrate from 2.7 to Ver 3.1 with same scenario but with Ver 3.1 we are facing an issue ,

the issue is after the portal page shows up and the wireless user connect to the network successfully and if the AP goes down for any reason and come back online again the wireless user cannot reconnect again to the network and the portal page does not shows up (in the ISE log we receiving radius access-reject log) in this case we just removing the user mac address from Context Visibility--> Endpoints and in the Phone make forget network for the SSID after that the portal shows again and the wireless user can connect again to the network .

with 2.7 this issue didn't occurs and when the AP goes down and come back online again the portal page shows automatically and the user can login successfully

note: the AP not a cisco vendor,  it's  another vendor and i attached the ISE logs for particular user

if you can please help me with this .

2 Replies 2

Hi,

Is this controller based on mesh based wireless deployment? As you mentioned, the problem that ISE doesn't clear out the sessions when the AP goes down so want to narrow down the deployment for better troubleshooting.

If its controller based, you need to see the session on the controllers when the AP goes down. The controller has to expire the sessions and notify ISE to kill the sessions as well.

If its mesh based, get one AP down and see its status on ISE from context visibility (whether the AP is connected or disconnected). From there we can see if we have to tweak some endpoint keepalive parameters to detect that the AP is offline. 

PS. Not all APs are supported with all ISE releases. The compatibility matrix from the vendor should indicate the support ISE release to avoid interop problems. 

***** please remember to rate useful posts

its controller based, i don't think the issues with APs because when using the ISE Ver 2.7 , after the APs goes down and come back online the portal page shows up automatically ,

i think there is some thing missing but i don't know what is.