cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How easy is it to add additional interfaces to ISE 2.2 once up and operational?

jeaves@cisco.com
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What is the exact procedure i.e. does the ise process need to be stopped first? Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Correct, you can add interfaces to VM but need to start ISE for system to recognize (similar to adding memory).  Also note that up to 6 interfaces are supported starting with ISE 2.1.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

vrostowsky
Level 5
Level 5

Jeaves-

I am assuming this is a VM, so it can be edited but read through the ISE install guide so you have the best experience

Cisco Identify Services Engine Hardware Installation Guide, Release 2.0 - Install ISE on a VMware Virtual Machine [Cis…

HTH-

Vince

It is a VM, don't see anything in that doc that you pointed to though.

Without knowing what the interfaces are for or anything about your configuration, the answers will be fairly generic.  The VM will allow you to add network interfaces, but even then the VM needs to reboot to take it, and ISE will not see then until the application is restarted.  You would then need to ssh into ISE and set the interface config (similar to addressing a Cisco router), and then configure ISE to leverage that interface for whatever service you are trying to achieve.  It can use up to 4 interfaces.

HTH-

Vince

Correct, you can add interfaces to VM but need to start ISE for system to recognize (similar to adding memory).  Also note that up to 6 interfaces are supported starting with ISE 2.1.

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Joff,

I would assume that you would need to shutdown and re-configure your VM hardware then start the VM to recognize all of the new hardware.

Identity Services Engine Installation Guide, Release 2.2  >  Additional Installation Information  >  Prerequisites for Configuring a VMware ESXi Server should give you the rundown for all of the NICs you can add and how.

And don't miss Configure VMware Server Interfaces for the Cisco ISE Profiler Service since that's probably why you want the extra interfaces!

Thanks Thomas.

In fact, I need to add another interface to connect to APIC-DC. My ISE is in an internal lab network and can only connect to an existing APIC through an additional interface.

I have successfully added another interface now and also successfully connected to APIC-DC.

So can confirm that adding an additional interface to an operational ISE works just fine.

I shut down the ISE application and added an IP interface. ISE automatically attempted to shut the application (even though it was already shut) and then automatically started it (shutdown was automatically removed).

It came up successfully and after adding IP routes, all is OK.

Cheers, Joff.

Great to hear it all worked as expected!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: