cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 1.3 Patch Fail

James Davies
Level 1
Level 1

I am working on ISE in a 2-Node Deployment, On the PAN, I browse for the ise-patchbundle-1.3.0.876-Patch6-167221.x86_64.tar.gz and click install, This is where nothing happens, browser window just spinning, when I click away, I get a "MD5/SHA256 encrypt" error and the patch does not install.

ISE Version is 1.3.0.876 I tired an earlier patch and the same result, can anyone help please? I will be planning a full upgrade to 1.4 shortly, but as it seems to be a huge task I want the patches on first.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Joseph Johnson
Level 1
Level 1

Check the MD5 of the file you downloaded. It should match this:

c75ca724d9b2d86379446824455341c6

If it doesn't, download the file again because it may have been corrupted during the download.

Its fine, I also tried multiple files, same result

James Davies
Level 1
Level 1

It failed, dont know why, so we are going for a complete upgrade to 1.4.

Problem is, the instructions are not the best from Cisco, I have a 2 node deployment, one is Admin Primary and monitoring secondary, the other unit is the reverse of this,

the instructions say to make both units active before the upgrade? but you cant do that, you are only allowed one primary?

I assume my setup is active standby, so do I just need to upgrade the primary unit? not clear at all :(

Make the Primary Admin the Primary Monitor as well. This moves the Secondary Admin/Primary Monitor to be Secondary Admin/Secondary Monitor.

Upgrade the Secondary Admin/Monitor. That will place it into a "new" deployment for 1.4. This nodes becomes the Primary Admin/Monitor in the "new" deployment.

Upgrade the 1.3 Primary Admin/Monitor. That will join it as a Secondary Admin/Monitor to the 1.4 Primary Admin/Monitor.

Once completed, set them back to split the primary personas just like you did in the 1.3 deployment.

Note: Be sure to follow all of the other steps outlined in the upgrade document. Backup, backup, and backup again. That is for all of the certificate/keys, policies, configuration, and operational data. Very important in case the upgrade fails and you have to reload 1.3.

ok, sounds simple enough, I have copied the upgrade image to both devices, some instructions say I need to create an "upgrade" repository?

I was going to do this:

conf t
repository upgrade
url disk:
application upgrade prepare ise-upgradebundle-1.4.0.253.x86_64.tar.gz upgrade
application upgrade proceed

is this correct? Many thanks for your help...

Upgraded the secondary no problem, but the old Primary will not upgrade :(

it seems to join the new deployment whilst still on version 1.3, and fails at step 6 "downloading configuration from primary" here it stays untill I have to reboot.

I now have 2 ISEs on different versions that cannot join.

any ideas please?