cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 1.3 Why are Windows endpoints defaulting to 802.1x machine authentication in wireless profile and not User or User&Computer

john.sumners
Level 1
Level 1

We are running ISE 1.3 tied to AD with WLC 7.6.130.0.  Our ISE has a GoDaddy (none wildcard) certificate loaded for https and EAP.  We are just running PEAP.  We have a mix of IOS, Android, and Windows 7/8 devices.  IOS and Android devices can self create a wireless profile and after entering credentials can connect without issue.  Our Windows 7/8 devices, when auto creating a wireless profile are selecting 802.1x machine authentication instead of User authentication or the best option which is machine or user authentication.  This is problematic as we do allow for machine authentication but have an authorization rule limiting machine auth to domain controller and ISE connectivity only.  This is to allow domain Windows 7/8 devices to have domain connectivity prior to user sign-in but force user auth to get true network connectivity.  The problem is why are the Windows devices not auto setting to user authentication (as I think they did when we ran ISE1.2), or the best option which is to allow both types of authentication?  I have limited authentication protocols to just EAP CHAP and moved the machine auth profile to the bottom of the list.  Neither have helped.  I also notice that the Windows 7/8 endpoints have to say allow connectivity several times even though we are using a global and should be trusted certificate authority (probably a separate issue).

Thank you for any help or ideas,

6 Replies 6

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello John-

If you want to allow machine based authentication during the machine boot period and then user based authentications post the machine boot/login period then the supplicant should be configured to use "Machine or User Authentication"

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

Yes I agree. We have to manually set the wireless profile to user or computer authentication option. Windows devices are defaulting to computer authentication. Why is that?  What within ISE is telling the windows machines to choose that option?  In 1.2 it would default to user authentication option. 

ISE does not instruct the device on how to authenticate on the network. The supplicant is what dictates how a device will try to authenticate on the network. 

With that being said, are you saying that the supplicant is currently configured to perform "User and computer authentication" but the device still tries to perform machine ONLY authentication?

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

When connecting a windows device to the ISE enabled SSID when there is not a saved wireless profile on that machine, it will connect and auto create the profile.  In that profile, 802.1x computer authentication option is chosen by windows.  That has to be changed to computer or user for the machine to function correctly on the network.

On 1.2, this behavior was different.  The Windows device would auto select user authentication by default.  At other customer sites, windows devices auto select user authentication.  This of course needs  to be changed to user or computer in order to support machine auth, but at least the default behavior of user authentication would allow machines to get on the network and functional easily to begin with.

In general PEAP does not work well, when using zero configuration with Windows7/8, microsoft has changed some stuff in later hotfixes/sp, because it has gotten worse with time, it does however not have anything to do with ISE. Windows for some reason also does not like wildcard certs when doing PEAP, which i consider a bug, but i don't see it getting fixed either.

So about your problem, are you not using PC's that are domain joined?...because with a 802.1x wireless GPO your scenario is somewhat easier to achieve.

Yes I have run into the wildcard issue and had to swap over to a regular 3rd party cert. 

I can look into the wireless GPO on the machine and user auth domain laptops.  I was hoping for something a little cleaner for zero touch for machines for vendors and 1 off guys.  I swear Windows7/8 behave differently on zero touch with ISE1.2 that they are with 1.3.  Maybe there was a coincidental Microsoft change.

Also the provisioning of the native supplicant by ISE to the client appears to not change that particular setting on the end devices, so it requires a manual configuration change on each end device...I am about to lab up the GPO option.