Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 2.4 - 2.6 Vmotion

dmr23
Level 1
Level 1

hi all

I would like to know if Vmotion is supported for ISE implementation has an HA solution. I haven't find any official documentation regarding this. Only some blogs indicating that TAC doesn't recommend it. 

I hope to find official documentation that I can use as evidence to present.

Regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It is only supported with a cold VM, that means the VM has to be shut down first. It is documented in the admin guide.  

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-4/install_guide/b_ise_InstallationGuide24/b_ise_InstallationGuide24_chapter_01.html
"Cisco ISE supports the cold VMware vMotion feature that allows you to migrate virtual machine (VM) instances (running any persona) between hosts. For the VMware vMotion feature to be functional, the following condition must be met:

Cisco ISE must be shutdown and powered off—Cisco ISE does not allow to stop or pause the database operations during vMotion. This might lead to data corruption issues. Hence, ensure that Cisco ISE is not running and active during the migration.

Note
Cisco ISE VM does not support Hot vMotion."

This is the same for ISE 2.6

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

alex_dufresne
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I assume that you're talking about live vMotion? 

As it is with snapshots, vMotion would be detrimental to your ISE deployment, since ISE does not tolerate database operation disturbances. This has been asked since ISE has been out, and there is visibly no intention  of having this scenario be supported.

As for offline vMotion, I don't see why it wouldn't be supported. The state of the virtual machine is then irrelevant, since it's powering back up from scratch on its new host.

TL;DR --> no snapshots (especially with quiescence) and no live vMotion.

Colby LeMaire
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It is only supported with a cold VM, that means the VM has to be shut down first. It is documented in the admin guide.  

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-4/install_guide/b_ise_InstallationGuide24/b_ise_InstallationGuide24_chapter_01.html
"Cisco ISE supports the cold VMware vMotion feature that allows you to migrate virtual machine (VM) instances (running any persona) between hosts. For the VMware vMotion feature to be functional, the following condition must be met:

Cisco ISE must be shutdown and powered off—Cisco ISE does not allow to stop or pause the database operations during vMotion. This might lead to data corruption issues. Hence, ensure that Cisco ISE is not running and active during the migration.

Note
Cisco ISE VM does not support Hot vMotion."

This is the same for ISE 2.6