cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 2.4 licensing issue "VM License over usage"

sereagan@cisco.com
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I’ve got a large customer running ISE 2.4. They have licensing for 12 Medium VM’s and I’ve I’ve verified this in the ISE console. They keep getting a “VM License over usage” message saying “Fewer VM Licenses installed than VM Resources/VM Nodes deployed” . All 12 of their VM’s are medium or smaller. TAC has nothing to say other than “buy more licenses” when clearly no more licenses are needed. Anyone seen this yet and have a possible solution?

Thanks

16 Replies 16

You can install them after.  You install them just like any other licenses.  The VM licenses are just a pool of licenses consumed by the number of VMs in your deployment. 

Hi @Nayan.Patel85 

ISE Licensing topic ... the gift that keeps on giving ;-)

ISE 2.3 has no ability to interpret the new VM license.  You can only install it when running ISE 2.4

And you only even install licenses on the PAN node (include both UDI's in the license when you generate them).

Even though you can mix and match small medium and large VM's in a deployment, the license should probably apply to the largest VM. Although that is an interesting quesiton. What if my two PAN nodes are medium, two MnT are medium, but my 50 PSN's are small.  Do I purchase 4 Medium and 50 Small, and then the license file that you install contains the appropriate amount.  I have never looked into that because I have always worked with heterogenous deployments.  I would be keen to know what the answer is when mixing VM sizes .