Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 2.6 DST Root CA X3 Certificate Authority expires September 2021

Hello,

On ISE deployment version 2.6 we have a trusted certificate named DST Root CA X3 Certificate Authority that expires in September 2021.

This certificate is included with ISE (not installed by us) and according to this documentation its purpose is "This certificate can serve as the root CA certificate for the CA chain used by cisco.com." which seems pretty important.

Do we know if this certificate expiration will break things ?

I can't find any information about this specific certificate, did cisco already communicate on how customers should handle that ?

Thanks,

Have a nice day.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Tom,

Sorry, but I think you're overreacting.

Just like Marcelo said, ISE comes preinstalled with a bunch of root CA certs. It doesn't mean it needs or uses all of them. 

Regarding your note:

- certificate tooltip says it is used for secure ldap, secure syslog, and internal trust between ISE nodes. We need this certificate. We can't just delete it.

Are you using secure LDAP? If so, you would be the one to know what root CA signed your LDAP server cert.

Secure syslog? I don't think so.

Trust between ISE nodes? That's the system cert that has the admin use case checked, that's usually signed by any internal or public CA, other than those already installed on ISE by Cisco.

Just like with the VeriSign Class 2 Secure Server CA G3 certificate that expired 1 or 2 years ago (don't remember exactly), all you have to do is wait for this one to expire, then delete it. You don't have to delete anything as of now as long as the certificate is valid.

There is nothing to be worried about.

Best regards, 

Octavian

View solution in original post

Hi tom.barat@dimensiondata.com ,

as an example for the 3rd option "replace this cisco-provided cert with one of our own":

1st ... to install the CA's Certificate into ISE

At Administration > System > Certificate > Certificate Management > Trusted Certificates:

. Import:

The CA's Certificate

. Trusted for:

Trust for Authentication within ISE

Trust for Client Authentication and Syslog

Trust for Certificate Based Admin Authentication

Trust for Authentication of Cisco Services

2nd ... to generate CSR from ISE for signing it's Certificate from the CA

At Administration > System > Certificate > Certificate Management > Certificate Signing Requests:

. Generate Certificate Signing Requests (CSR):

Usage: Multi-Use

Node: select the Node

<please enter the other values>

. Bind Certificate

<select the Certificate Request that you generated and bind to the Signed Certificate>

Usage: Admin, EAP Authentication and Portal

3rd ... to install the CA's Certificate on your Clients. (as an example not only for ISE, but also for your Clients)

Download the CA's Certificate

Install Certificate

Store Location: Local Machine

Certificate Store: Trusted Root Certification Authorities

Hope this helps !!!

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Marcello and Octavian are both correct that this certificate is no longer by any of ISE services by default.

13 Replies 13

DST Root CA X3 is an older Root Certificate ... please take a look at: DST Root CA X3 Expiration (September 2021)

Also at: ISE Guide, 3.0, search for Default Trusted Certificates in Cisco ISE:

"... The Trusted Certificates store (Administration > System > Certificates > Trusted Certificates) in Cisco ISE includes some certificates that are available by default. These certificates are automatically imported into the store to meet security requirements. However, it is not mandatory for you to use all of them. Unless mentioned otherwise in the following table, you can use certificates of your choice instead of the ones that are already available..."

Also double check at Administration > System > Certificates > Trusted Certificates:

DSTRootCAX3.png

Hope this helps !!!

Hello,

Thanks for the answer, it is helpful. I didn't notice the details button next to the cert name in ISE GUI.

Based on "Verify ISE server certificates in a multi-node deployment", the answer to my first question is Yes, this will definitely break things.

If i understand your comment correctly the answer to "How should we handle that?" is we need to replace this default certificate with one of our own because cisco won't renew this one or replace it with a new root, is that correct ?

If so, do we have documentation explaining the requirements for this certificate ?

Usually this is my go-to documentation for ISE certificate matters, but it focuses on system certificates rather than trusted certificates.

Thanks again!

Hi tom.barat@dimensiondata.com 

the How To Implement Digital Certificates in ISE is an amazing doc, the What Certificate Values Should be Used with an ISE Deployment? is the topic that you need.

Please also take a look at: Install a 3rd party CA Certificate in ISE., How to Install Wildcard Certificates and Configure Guide to Certificate Renew on ISE

Hope this helps !!!

Thank you for the follow-up answer but unfortunately the resources you linked are related to system certificates, which i already know how to handle.

My question is specific to trusted certificates provided by cisco.

I can't find any documentation explaining clearly how to deal specifically with these cisco-provided trusted certificates.

Have a nice day.

take a look at ISE 2.1 Guide, search for Trusted Certificates Store.

"...You can delete trusted certificates that you no longer need. However, you must not delete Cisco ISE internal CA Certificates. Cisco ISE internal CA Certificates can be deleted only when you replace the Cisco ISE Root Certificate Chain for the entire deployment..."

Hope this helps !!!

Yes, i know that we can delete trusted certs we don't need. We had the case with the verisign CA cert that expired relatively recently.

The question is what to do when we do need the certificate ?

This is the situation we are in :

- certificate tooltip says it is used for secure ldap, secure syslog, and internal trust between ISE nodes. We need this certificate. We can't just delete it.

- certificate is in trusted store and provided by cisco, so we can't renew it ourselves as we would with a self-signed or PKI-signed certificate.

- We could hypothetically replace this cisco-provided cert with one of our own, but the procedure and certificate requirements are not doucmented (or at least i couldn't find the doc).

Thanks again for the follow up.

Hi Tom,

Sorry, but I think you're overreacting.

Just like Marcelo said, ISE comes preinstalled with a bunch of root CA certs. It doesn't mean it needs or uses all of them. 

Regarding your note:

Are you using secure LDAP? If so, you would be the one to know what root CA signed your LDAP server cert.

Secure syslog? I don't think so.

Trust between ISE nodes? That's the system cert that has the admin use case checked, that's usually signed by any internal or public CA, other than those already installed on ISE by Cisco.

Just like with the VeriSign Class 2 Secure Server CA G3 certificate that expired 1 or 2 years ago (don't remember exactly), all you have to do is wait for this one to expire, then delete it. You don't have to delete anything as of now as long as the certificate is valid.

There is nothing to be worried about.

Best regards, 

Octavian

Hello,

Thanks for the answer.

I was pretty sure from the beginning that the answer would be "just delete it, it's useless", but we needed clear confirmation from cisco since it's not obvious from the documentation and the certificate tooltip whether the certificate is actually used or not.

Have a nice day.

as an example for the 3rd option "replace this cisco-provided cert with one of our own":

1st ... to install the CA's Certificate into ISE

At Administration > System > Certificate > Certificate Management > Trusted Certificates:

. Import:

The CA's Certificate

. Trusted for:

Trust for Authentication within ISE

Trust for Client Authentication and Syslog

Trust for Certificate Based Admin Authentication

Trust for Authentication of Cisco Services

2nd ... to generate CSR from ISE for signing it's Certificate from the CA

At Administration > System > Certificate > Certificate Management > Certificate Signing Requests:

. Generate Certificate Signing Requests (CSR):

Usage: Multi-Use

Node: select the Node

<please enter the other values>

. Bind Certificate

<select the Certificate Request that you generated and bind to the Signed Certificate>

Usage: Admin, EAP Authentication and Portal

3rd ... to install the CA's Certificate on your Clients. (as an example not only for ISE, but also for your Clients)

Download the CA's Certificate

Install Certificate

Store Location: Local Machine

Certificate Store: Trusted Root Certification Authorities

Hope this helps !!!

Hello,

Thanks for the answer. If i understand correctly this is the normal certificate provisioning process and ISE will automatically know the certificate requirements when creating the CSR, that's good to know.

Thanks,

Have a nice day.

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Marcello and Octavian are both correct that this certificate is no longer by any of ISE services by default.

Hello,

Thank you  for the much needed clarification from cisco employee.

Have a nice day.