cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 3.2 and CLI changes that cause confusion and annoyance

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Perhaps this will save anyone out there some frustration when using ISE 3.2 or later. The BU decided to rename a bunch of commands that were inherited from the classic Cisco IOS world, and which are deeply ingrained in our brains.

It caught me out and really annoyed me.  I don't see the logic of wasting resources on such idiosyncratic things.  Consistency is part of being efficient.  I understand if commands are reworded out of respect or not wanting to cause offense - but removing "terminal length" and "terminal session-timeout" ?  Seriously. Oh right - we're not in the 70's anymore - nobody talks about "terminals" and thanks Cisco for patronising me. However, if you want to get technical about it, if a script logs into ISE and screen scrapes the output, then it's not going to a screen, is it?  

Here's a listing from the ISE 3.2 CLI Guide

2 Replies 2

rezaalikhani
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, I completely agree with you. For example, since the 'write' command has been removed in this version, if the password associated with the local admin expires, after changing the password, if we attempt to shut down ISE, we will be surprised to see that the changes are not applied, and the only way to do this is to use the 'reload' command so that first the changes are saved, now cancel the 'reload' operation, and ultimately we can shut down ISE.

Essa_Rahemi
Level 1
Level 1

Correct- Cisco should take into account if people still using most of their products are because of those old IOS commands and they never getting out of date.