Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 3 Patch 2 Secondary PAN Licensing

navidn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

As I am trying to deploy and register Primary/Secondary PAN nodes with ISE 3 patch 2, I am not sure does secondary PAN needs another PLR or smart licenses or not? I am asking this because in previous releases it contained a special field for secondary UID mentioned in following link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-1/admin_guide/b_ise_admin_guide_21/b_ise_admin_guide_20_chapter_0110.html

I would be appreciated if someone guides me in this regard.

There are also attachments for licensing tab in the new release.

1 Reply 1

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

In pre ISE 3.0 days the secondary PAN's UDI details could be entered into the licensing portal to ensure that the license contained the Primary and Secondary PAN UDI details. It was never mandatory, but possibly missed by many people who didn't do this. Only a problem if the secondary PAN is promoted to Primary - then, no licenses!

As of ISE 3.0 there are no more traditional licences. ISE 3.0 talks to Smart Licensing. And as I understand it, you need a VM license in the case of VMs -but if you're using hardware appliances then there is just the usual DNA style licenses (and Device Admin). Smart Licensing is smart enough to figure out that you have a HA pair and shows the UDI details of both boxes in the Smart Licensing Portal.

Not sure if that answers the question. I have never heard of a PLR - maybe someone else has better info.