Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE & 802.1X Wired Configuration

zekebashi
Level 4
Level 4

Hello ISE experts,

I am new to ISE and working on a project to design and implement 802.1X on the wired network. I've been researching numerous cisco documents and youtube videos on how and in one of the videos the presenter configured the switch to use the Device Sensor feature. In most of the documents that I have researched they don't mention configuring this feature. I wanted to find out when configuring the access switches for 802.1X wired authentication, is the device sensor configuration required to be configured on the access-layer switches and why?  

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/...

Thanks in advance.

~zK  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi 

The device sensor is helpful when you want to have reliable data to profile your endpoint. 

If you want to activate standard dot1x without applying specific policies to specific devices then you don't need it.

Ford profiling capabilities, on ISE if you have the right licenses, you can activate different probes like dhcp, snmp, ...

Thanks 

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this answered your question

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi 

The device sensor is helpful when you want to have reliable data to profile your endpoint. 

If you want to activate standard dot1x without applying specific policies to specific devices then you don't need it.

Ford profiling capabilities, on ISE if you have the right licenses, you can activate different probes like dhcp, snmp, ...

Thanks 

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this answered your question

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Thanks for the response, Francesco! 

Yes, I am planning on using 802.1x for client and user authentication and enabling RADIUS-VLAN assignment. So, I think I won't need to enable the device sensor. 

Thanks again and much appreciated. 

~zK 

You're welcome

Thanks
Francesco