cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE and Admin Certificate - why Client Auth EKU warning during import?

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hi

I imported a new cert into my ISE 2.2 nodes for the Admin usage.

I am able to browse to the web page of those PSN's just fine and it's loading the new cert.

Below is a subsection of the cert

X509v3 extensions:

X509v3 Key Usage: critical

Digital Signature, Key Encipherment

1.3.6.1.4.1.311.21.7:

X509v3 Extended Key Usage:

TLS Web Server Authentication

1.3.6.1.4.1.311.21.10:

When I imported the cert, I got the error below:  why is this EKU relevant for the Admin usage?  Or is this just a nag message?

If I assign that same certificate to the EAP usage, will EAP-TLS not work?  I seem to remember that the Client Authentication has to be present in the ISE cert for the purposes of EAP-TLS.  For EAP-PEAP this is not required because the client doesn't present a client certificate to the AAA server.  So in that case the warning should only appear if I attempt to apply the cert to the generic 'EAP usage'.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yeah, it's just a nag message.

An ISE system certificate can potentially be used for client authentications; e.g. pxGrid subscriptions or connecting to an external HTTPS or LDAPS server.

For EAP usage in general, an ISE system certificate does not require client authentication in EKU. Only endpoint certificates do.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yeah, it's just a nag message.

An ISE system certificate can potentially be used for client authentications; e.g. pxGrid subscriptions or connecting to an external HTTPS or LDAPS server.

For EAP usage in general, an ISE system certificate does not require client authentication in EKU. Only endpoint certificates do.

thanks - now I think I finally understood it.