Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE CoA not send

phaaring
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We have a Cisco ISE cluster with 4 nodes and using CoA for Wireless. Thats working fine.

The goal is to use CoA for switchports too and configured both ISE and the switch for CoA (default port). After initiating a CoA from ISE to a specific client (switchport) we found that the CoA is never recieved by the switch.

After creating and anlysing a TCP dump on the (right) PSN we found that ISE is never sending the CoA.

Below a screendump from the TCP dump with a full authentication.

Untitled.png

Direct after this authentication the CoA is send but its not found in the trace. 

Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

phaaring
Level 1
Level 1

Problem has been solved!

In the TCP dump of the PAN we found intercluster CoA traffic (from PAN to PSN) on UDP 3799. This traffic was not arrived at the PSN because all intercluster traffic is firewalled. After opening UDP 3799 between all cluster nodes the PSN is sending CoA to the switch on UDP 1700.

As far as I can found in the documentation intercluster CoA traffice should be send at UDP 1700

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/i/400001-500000/420001-430000/425001-426000/425863.jpg

So intercluster traffic on UDP 3799 is not as designed!

Thank you all for helping

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
I would recommend running some debugs on the switch side.
debug aaa coa
debug aaa pod
debug radius
And see what you come up with.
Does sh run all | i vsa return:
radius-server vsa send accounting
radius-server vsa send authentication
Also, ensure you have the radius server configured as a dynamic-author so the NAD will accept CoA requests from ISE.

See this for more info: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/sec_usr_aaa/configuration/xe-3s/sec-usr-aaa-xe-3s-book/sec-rad-coa.html#GUID-D59DD994-7519-44F0-84A6-A3880C09A86C

HTH!

Make sure you have nothing blocking UDP/1700 (ACL ,FW ..)

Do you get a CoA error in the live logs ?

There is one FW and one ACL on the path between ISE and the switch. But both have no blocks and permit UDP 1700.

The log on both shows also no UDP 1700 traffic.

Yes, we receive an error in the ISE log

Untitled1.png

Mike, thanks for your suggestions.

All of the suggested configurations are present. The debugs do not give any results becuase the packet is not send by ISE. The TCP dump on the ISE network interface shows zero CoA packets, so it should be an ISE issue.

Run a debug on runtime-AAA to see if ISE is sending CoA.

If you still cant get resolution please open a TAC case for further troubleshooting.

phaaring
Level 1
Level 1

Problem has been solved!

In the TCP dump of the PAN we found intercluster CoA traffic (from PAN to PSN) on UDP 3799. This traffic was not arrived at the PSN because all intercluster traffic is firewalled. After opening UDP 3799 between all cluster nodes the PSN is sending CoA to the switch on UDP 1700.

As far as I can found in the documentation intercluster CoA traffice should be send at UDP 1700

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/i/400001-500000/420001-430000/425001-426000/425863.jpg

So intercluster traffic on UDP 3799 is not as designed!

Thank you all for helping

Hi, 

Interesting information, thanks for sharing. 

Which ISE version are you using ? 

Indeed, UDP 3799 is not one of the flows that need to be opened for the cluster to work (based on the documentation). 

I have a scenario with load-balanced PSNs where this behaviour would be interesting. 

Hello, 

Even if your problem is solved, take a look here : 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-0/installation_guide/b_ise_InstallationGuide20/Cisco_SNS_3400_Series_Appliance_Ports_Reference.html

(CISCO ISE Policy Service Node ports / Session) : 

• RADIUS Change of Authorization (CoA) Listen/Relay: UDP/1700, 3799

Note 

UDP port 3799 is not configurable.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: