Helpful
Replies

ISE License consumed

aspry
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Migrating from ACS to ISE.

We currently only have 100 base licenses, we will ultimately need more.

However in our current test wifi environment I note that the number of live radius live sessions is less than the number of licenses consumed (5 live sessions, 19 licenses consumed).

With regards to the live sessions, I not that I am one of the listed live session user, however I am not currently using the wifi.

Any help with understanding the above will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Andy 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hi @aspry 

Licenses consumed is not quite real-time. It lags behind.

The live sessions view is real-time, in so far as the NAS sending the RADIUS Accounting updates to ISE to allow the Live Sessions table to be up to date. I think that could also get out of sync  in the event that an Accounting Start is sent, and ISE incrememtns the sessions by one, but then the Accounting Stop is never sent (e.g. switch rebooted or whatever) - then ISE is left wondering what the heck happened to that session. I am not sure what it would do in that case - wait for 5 days and then remove the session from its session database?

As far as Licensing is concerned, if the RADIUS Accounting is not doing the job of informing ISE by start/stop, then ISE will keep the license in consumed state for up to 5 days and then release it.

Check whether your NAS RADIUS Accounting is configured correctly. Interim updates may also be helpful as a hint to ISE that the session  is still active.

There have also been some bugs in the past  - make sure you're patched and up to date.

regards

Arne

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hi @aspry 

Licenses consumed is not quite real-time. It lags behind.

The live sessions view is real-time, in so far as the NAS sending the RADIUS Accounting updates to ISE to allow the Live Sessions table to be up to date. I think that could also get out of sync  in the event that an Accounting Start is sent, and ISE incrememtns the sessions by one, but then the Accounting Stop is never sent (e.g. switch rebooted or whatever) - then ISE is left wondering what the heck happened to that session. I am not sure what it would do in that case - wait for 5 days and then remove the session from its session database?

As far as Licensing is concerned, if the RADIUS Accounting is not doing the job of informing ISE by start/stop, then ISE will keep the license in consumed state for up to 5 days and then release it.

Check whether your NAS RADIUS Accounting is configured correctly. Interim updates may also be helpful as a hint to ISE that the session  is still active.

There have also been some bugs in the past  - make sure you're patched and up to date.

regards

Arne

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: