Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE - Limit access to BYOD portal

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Is there a way to limit access to a BYOD portal to a set of Active Directory OU's? Currently when I select the 'Identity Source Sequence' to use the AD identity source, any user is able to log into the portal and register devices.

The SSID which uses the Endpoint subset created by this portal is only broadcast within a limited number of buildings, so user base is controlled by building access, but this doesn't stop everyone on campus registering a device.

I am using ISE 1.4.0.253 .

cheers,

Seb.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Seb,

I do not have a guide specific for this. This would use no extra licensing features than what BYOD would already consume.

To direct you you can follow the following steps.

It is presumed you have already decided on an AD group and have selected as part of the groups under your identity source.

1. Click Policy>Client Provisioning

2. Edit the relevant rule you want to restrict

3. Expand the "Other Conditions"

4. Click the gear drop down

5. Select "Add Attribute/Value"

6. In the "Select Attribute" field click the down arrow

7. Click the ">" next to your external identity source

8. Select "ExternalGroups"

9. Leave the "Equals" and select the down arrow in the next field

10. Select the relevant AD group

11. Click "Done" on the rule

12. Click "Save" at the bottom of the page

And you are done. You would do this for each rule you want to restrict.

Regards,

Jason

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Bump.

Anyone??

I would suggest on your AuthZ NSP rule restrict it to an AD group of your choice. Everyone else should then hit your default rule which should be a deny all.

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the suggestion, but BYOD portal is for MAB so all the AuthZ policies relate to whether a device MAC address is registered (in a particular group) or not. 

The only time a username and AD group comes into play is when they log into the BYOD portal. It's at this stage I want to restrict access, but can't see any options on how to.

cheers,

Seb.

Hi Seb,

My response was based on a single SSID. I presume you are using 2 SSIDs based on your response.

In this case you can under client provisioning restrict who can follow the BYOD flow to different AD groups. This will also work for a single SSID. The user will be able to log in but not register/follow the BYOD flow.

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

Do you have a 1.4 configuration guide to describe this, it's not something I'm familiar with. On that note, is this feature covered under the Base license?

cheers,

Seb.

Hi Seb,

I do not have a guide specific for this. This would use no extra licensing features than what BYOD would already consume.

To direct you you can follow the following steps.

It is presumed you have already decided on an AD group and have selected as part of the groups under your identity source.

1. Click Policy>Client Provisioning

2. Edit the relevant rule you want to restrict

3. Expand the "Other Conditions"

4. Click the gear drop down

5. Select "Add Attribute/Value"

6. In the "Select Attribute" field click the down arrow

7. Click the ">" next to your external identity source

8. Select "ExternalGroups"

9. Leave the "Equals" and select the down arrow in the next field

10. Select the relevant AD group

11. Click "Done" on the rule

12. Click "Save" at the bottom of the page

And you are done. You would do this for each rule you want to restrict.

Regards,

Jason

While this is a valid method to restrict users from the BYOD flow based on AD, it seems like a very janky way of doing so.  It gives false hope to users that they can do something because they are allowed to login and are presented with the BYOD start screen.  I wish someone at Cisco would realize this and make it possible to change the allowed "Employees" up front in the portal creation page so if you are not authorized per the AD group, you would simply fail authentication and not even be able to log in.

If anyone knows of a better solution, please post it.  I'm working with ISE 2.1 currently and have been working on ISE since ISE 1.3 and yet this BYOD flow is still as terrible as it was when it all started.

Hi,

I'm struggeling with the same issue. Have you found a solution meanwhile?

regards,

Marc

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: