Helpful
Replies

ISE Logging

axa_tech_uk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are working to upgrade our ISE from version 2.0.1

In order to reduce the upgrade time to a reasonable level we have purged data to 40 days worth.

We still have a very long upgrade time.

Currently each of our MNT nodes alone will take 4 hours to upgrade.

Are there other options to reduce this figure?

I presume that an OPS backup would act as a full backup of all logs, is this correct?

Could we therefore, as an option, purge more data and restore it post-upgrade?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As you pointed out, you can restore operational data from a backup, but most don't bother. Is there a firm requirement to maintain the historical logging through the upgrade? I often purge as aggressively as I can to maintain the minimum, 1 day, or skip upgrading the MNT and install it new from the ISO. 

If you do choose to backup/restore the operational data, keep in mind that you restore it to each MNT node individually.

I assume you are going 2.0.1 to 2.4 if this question is coming up. Have you considered standing up a "new" deployment in parallel on 2.7, potentially powering off the 2.0 node(s) and reusing IPs? 

View solution in original post

i can just add Damien :0)

backup&restore approach will be your friend

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Eric Marshott
Level 1
Level 1

Create a new ISE deployment on the version you are moving to, migrate all settings and get that deployment working exactly as you need it, then migrate your NADs (e.g WLCs, Router/Switches using TACACS) to use the new AND the old deployment. There is an entire deployment guide for upgrading ISE in this way

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As you pointed out, you can restore operational data from a backup, but most don't bother. Is there a firm requirement to maintain the historical logging through the upgrade? I often purge as aggressively as I can to maintain the minimum, 1 day, or skip upgrading the MNT and install it new from the ISO. 

If you do choose to backup/restore the operational data, keep in mind that you restore it to each MNT node individually.

I assume you are going 2.0.1 to 2.4 if this question is coming up. Have you considered standing up a "new" deployment in parallel on 2.7, potentially powering off the 2.0 node(s) and reusing IPs? 

i can just add Damien :0)

backup&restore approach will be your friend

Peter Koltl
Level 7
Level 7

Watching the upgrade for 8 or 12 or 20 hours: why do you regard it as ‘long’ after  5+ years of undisturbed ISE operation?