Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE Patching from CDROM

JaVa808
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

First time posting and utilizing the community. So hello to everyone.

I have ISE 2.4 and would like to install patches released.

Saw while creating a repository the option to upload patches from CDROM. Curious to see if this worked. So I downloaded the patches to CD/DVD and plugged in a DVD/CD usb. But when I did a sh disks it did not list a usbcd or usbdvd.

how would I check on ISE, what command would allow me to see the DVD/CD ROM if I even used the correct one.

Is there a way to upload from or is it best to just setup TFTP/FTP to do patching updates?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can define the dvd drive as a repository, then issue a "show repo <repo name>" to list the available files. I've never tried this with a dvd/usb repo so not sure the result really. It works great with FTP/SFTP. 

In a multi node deployment I find the easiest way to patch is to define a FTP server as a repository in the GUI maintenance section.  Then when you want to patch you call the patch process from the CLI, admin node first.

patch install <patch name> <repository name>

You can also patch ISE from the GUI, but I find this slow.  In a multi node deployment you do not have the option to select order or patch multiple nodes at the same time.  CLI > GUI in this case.  

If you have to roll back a patch for some reason, you can do this via the GUI or CLI again.
patch remove ise 4 - this would remove patch 4, substitute the number for the patch you are removing. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can define the dvd drive as a repository, then issue a "show repo <repo name>" to list the available files. I've never tried this with a dvd/usb repo so not sure the result really. It works great with FTP/SFTP. 

In a multi node deployment I find the easiest way to patch is to define a FTP server as a repository in the GUI maintenance section.  Then when you want to patch you call the patch process from the CLI, admin node first.

patch install <patch name> <repository name>

You can also patch ISE from the GUI, but I find this slow.  In a multi node deployment you do not have the option to select order or patch multiple nodes at the same time.  CLI > GUI in this case.  

If you have to roll back a patch for some reason, you can do this via the GUI or CLI again.
patch remove ise 4 - this would remove patch 4, substitute the number for the patch you are removing. 

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Damien Miller is right.
Putting patch files to a CDROM seems a lot of work so I only tried it with an existing ISE install ISO file. Here is my repository configuration:

repository c
  url cdrom:

And, then

# show repository c
EFI

Will give this a try tomorrow from the CLI as a backup. But will definitely go with what Damien mentioned as my primary. 

Thank you. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: