cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE PSN and VM CPU size

luceroc
Level 4
Level 4

I have an older ISE environment we have some PSNs that are running at 99% CPU utilization.   Wondering how to get them to perform a little better until we rebuild a new environment.  Can we just increase CPUs?  **Note we are currently building a new parallel ISE infrastructure to support a larger enterprise deployment but need this one to be more reliable until we get there.

We have a PSN running older code.  I know don’t shoot me! J   Do you know if I can just add CPUs to the VM or do I have to rebuild the ISE node from an OVA? 

Personas:            Policy Service (Session)

Role:     

System Time:     Apr 03 2019 11:53:18 AM PST8PDT

FIPS Mode:         Disabled

Version:               1.3.0.876

Patch Information:          3,8

The PSN is running on a VM with 4CPUs plenty of memory and hard disk for a PSN. 

2019-04-03 11_35_11-vSphere Web Client - Internet Explorer.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You are leveraging a 3415 VM template, so it is possible to change this to a 3495 template and still be on a supported platform with ISE 1.3.

3495 is 32 GB of ram, and 8 CPU with a 16,000 MHZ reservation.  
You can find the specs in the 1.3 admin guide.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/1-3/installation_guide/b_ise_InstallationGuide13/b_ise_InstallationGuide12_chapter_011.html

You will be able to shut down the VM, change the RAM and vCPU settings, then power it back up.  I won't guarantee that your isuses go away though, it's entirely possible you have underlying issues that you will just be giving more resources to. This might be too many endpoints for the deployment, bugs, misbehaving endpoints, or a poorly tuned NAD config.  

There is no official supported method for increasing disk space of an ISE node without reinstalling it from the ISO or deploying a new OVA. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Timothy Abbott
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
You will need to model the VM after the physical appliance your version of code supports. That is what we officially support for virtual environments.

Regards,
-Tim

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You are leveraging a 3415 VM template, so it is possible to change this to a 3495 template and still be on a supported platform with ISE 1.3.

3495 is 32 GB of ram, and 8 CPU with a 16,000 MHZ reservation.  
You can find the specs in the 1.3 admin guide.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/1-3/installation_guide/b_ise_InstallationGuide13/b_ise_InstallationGuide12_chapter_011.html

You will be able to shut down the VM, change the RAM and vCPU settings, then power it back up.  I won't guarantee that your isuses go away though, it's entirely possible you have underlying issues that you will just be giving more resources to. This might be too many endpoints for the deployment, bugs, misbehaving endpoints, or a poorly tuned NAD config.  

There is no official supported method for increasing disk space of an ISE node without reinstalling it from the ISO or deploying a new OVA. 

Thanks!! This is very helpful.