Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE support for Cisco Nexus Series of Switches

Dhanesh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Does Cisco ISE 2.6 supports Cisco Nexus 2k, Nexus 3K, Nexus 5K, Nexus 7K and Nexus 9K series of switches? The Compatibility matrix does not show them.

If supported, can you please guide me to the link/documentation please?

Exact models of the Nexus switches are as below:

Nexus 2224,

Nexus 2232,

Nexus 2248,

Nexus 3048,

Nexus 5010,

Nexus 5596,

Nexus 5672,

Nexus 7009,

Nexus 7010,

Nexus 93180,

Nexus 92160,

Nexus 9504

Regards,

Dhanesh.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

• do1x is going to be a no go for Nexus switches. The idea behind dot1x is to protect access layer ports and Nexus switches are supposed to be in the data center. If a malicious/unauthorized user is able to connect to a switch port in your data center then you have bigger problems to worry about than dot1x :)
  • With regards to TACACS+, it is supported and ISE already has a pre-defined "Common Task Type" for nexus. You can find this by going to Work Centers > Device Administration > Policy Elements > Results < TACACS Profiles > Create new > Use the drop-down for "Common Task Type" and select Nexus. 

I hope this helps!

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What type of support are you looking for?

• dot1x
  • TrustSec
  • Device administration via RADIUS
  • Device administration via TACACS+

Hi,

Thanks Neno for your response.

I am looking for support of AAA (802.1x), Device Administration via TACACS+ (through ISE Device Admin Node).

Regards,

Dhanesh.

• do1x is going to be a no go for Nexus switches. The idea behind dot1x is to protect access layer ports and Nexus switches are supposed to be in the data center. If a malicious/unauthorized user is able to connect to a switch port in your data center then you have bigger problems to worry about than dot1x :)
  • With regards to TACACS+, it is supported and ISE already has a pre-defined "Common Task Type" for nexus. You can find this by going to Work Centers > Device Administration > Policy Elements > Results < TACACS Profiles > Create new > Use the drop-down for "Common Task Type" and select Nexus. 

I hope this helps!

Do 9Ks support TrustSec?  It doesn't look like it from the matrix I saw last year.  At least not 9K in NX-OS mode.

The Nexus 9k's do not support TrustSec but you can do data plane translation between ACI EPGs and SGTs. But no TrustSec support like a 7k or catalyst.