Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE - Unlink from Pri & Sec pairing

jimmy10
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

Please can someone advise me on how to unlink my Primary & Secondary ISE pair so that they can be standalones?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@jimmy10 navigate to "Administration > Deployment" select the node then click "Deregister"

When you deregister a secondary node from the primary PAN, the status of the deregistered node changes to standalone, and the connection between the primary and the secondary node is lost. Replication updates are no longer sent to the deregistered standalone node. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-4/admin_guide/b_ISE_admin_guide_24/m_setup_cisco_ise.html#ID185

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

@jimmy10 navigate to "Administration > Deployment" select the node then click "Deregister"

When you deregister a secondary node from the primary PAN, the status of the deregistered node changes to standalone, and the connection between the primary and the secondary node is lost. Replication updates are no longer sent to the deregistered standalone node. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-4/admin_guide/b_ISE_admin_guide_24/m_setup_cisco_ise.html#ID185

jimmy10
Level 1
Level 1

Excellent thanks @Rob Ingram 

So when the secondary is standalone-Can I then upgrade it on its own for testing purposes separately from the Primary? - (As the Pri will still be servicing customers connections). The reason I ask is that I have issues when upgrading & I want to test one of the units separately whilst the other is still in production.

@jimmy10 well before you do this you need to make sure the NADs (switches/WLC) aren't pointing to the old secondary IP address, but yes you could then do what you want with it.

It might be better downloading the ISO/OVA image and running a VM to test the upgrade proceedure, otherwise you are breaking resilency.