cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE usage of “subject-serial number” / "certificates serial number as identity"

jideji
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The following gui is under External Identity Sources -> Certificate Authentication Profile. We would like to use the certificates serial number as identity, but the only option I see is “subject – serial number” (see below). It is my understanding that “subject-serial number” does not make sense to our PKI guys (I think that terminology is invalid in their view). We thought maybe it meant the certificates serial number which is what we want, but when I configured it, ISE failed saying the user information couldn’t be retrieved from the certificate. This would make sense if it’s trying to pull it out of the subject field, which is what I think it’s probably doing based on the gui, but the PKI guys would like to know what is “subject – serial number” and is it really a valid thing? Also, is there a way to use the certificate’s serial number as “user” identity to query ldap?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ISE dictionary CERTIFICATE has three serial numbers (attached a screenshot from ISE 2.3 conditions studio):

Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 9.50.40 PM.png

And, Certificates with serialNumber in subject - Server - Let's Encrypt Community Support shows that it possible to have the serial number as part of the “Subject”. Our engineering team confirmed that certificate serial number and subject serial number fields are independent. Only the one as part of Subject line will be chosen and used in ISE cert auth profile

The "subject - serial number” very likely differing from the serial number of the certificate issued by the CA. See examples below:

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ISE dictionary CERTIFICATE has three serial numbers (attached a screenshot from ISE 2.3 conditions studio):

Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 9.50.40 PM.png

And, Certificates with serialNumber in subject - Server - Let's Encrypt Community Support shows that it possible to have the serial number as part of the “Subject”. Our engineering team confirmed that certificate serial number and subject serial number fields are independent. Only the one as part of Subject line will be chosen and used in ISE cert auth profile

The "subject - serial number” very likely differing from the serial number of the certificate issued by the CA. See examples below:

jideji
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks.