Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE vs NGS: API support

ibrunello
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

where going to implement Guest access for our wireless network.

Now we're facing two different solutions

1) Nac Guest Server

- older product (it means it will go EoS sooner)

- not aimed at endpoint profiling (you should use the NAC product)

- it is easily manageable from our lobby software, via simple https request (e.g. create user)

2) ISE

- newer product (better support timespan)

- can manage endpoint profiling (e.g. allow tablets one kind of access, and pc another, whilst using the same SSID)

- as far as I see, guest creation/management cannot be easily performed from an external program.

We would like to use ISE, since it seems to have more features, and it's newer.

But the big problem is a missing HTTPS-API management.

Anyone can confirm that ISE is not programmable via an external API?

TIA

Ivan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tarik Admani
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Ivan,

You are correct in the details you provided above, there is no support yet on when api calls can be made from a 3rd party device as far as user management. You will need to touch base with your account team to file a feature request on your behalf, I did a quick scan and didnt find this feature request filed yet.

Keep in mind that you can deploy NGS 2.0.3 on the new 3315 equipment so once ISE gets up to speed you can always reimage the box and use the guest functionality of ISE once you are able to validate all the features that fit your requirements.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Tarik

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Tarik Admani
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Ivan,

You are correct in the details you provided above, there is no support yet on when api calls can be made from a 3rd party device as far as user management. You will need to touch base with your account team to file a feature request on your behalf, I did a quick scan and didnt find this feature request filed yet.

Keep in mind that you can deploy NGS 2.0.3 on the new 3315 equipment so once ISE gets up to speed you can always reimage the box and use the guest functionality of ISE once you are able to validate all the features that fit your requirements.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Tarik