Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE - WebUI first time login - error

ThibaultMean
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm running a demo version of ISE and i try to connect to the webui for the first time.

However, when i enter admin/cisco i get the following error message :

Your account has been disabled after password expiration. Please contact your system administrator for assistance.

Using the CLI, I can see the admin user is not disabled or blocked. However it seems the cli user is not the webui user...

Is there a way to check web user with the CLI?

Regards,

Thibault.

14 Replies 14

jrabinow
Level 7
Level 7

Which ISE version is this? When was it installed and was any upgrade done along the way?

ISE V1.0.4.573 running on VM.

No upgrade done at all. I try to login to the webui for the first time but unsuccessfully.

Ok i fixed it.

using the cli issue the command :

ISE/User#  application reset-passwd ise admin

and follow the steps.

That allowed me to login to the WebUI.

Thibault.

What the heck!?

Ran into the same error on VM based ISE. Tried the above said password reset command but got the another error:

Error! Application needs to be running inorder to reset password.

How am I going to login to GUI ?

Eugene

Try issuing the command "show application status ise" if ISE isnt running then issue "application start ise" and wait for the application server to start and it status switch to running mode.

Thanks

Tarik admani

ISE-10MR2/admin# sh application status ise

ISE Database listener is running, PID: 3034

ISE Database is running, number of processes: 27

ISE Application Server is running, PID: 3349

ISE M&T Session Database is running, PID: 2815

ISE M&T Log Collector is running, PID: 3447

ISE M&T Log Processor is running, PID: 3473

ISE M&T Alert Process is running, PID: 3418

ISE-10MR2/admin# application reset-passwd ise admin

Error! Application needs to be running inorder to reset password.

Have you already logged into the gui once before and changed the default password? We may need you to open a TAC case and send us a support bundle after you run this command.

Thanks,

Tarik Admani

OMG !....

Why is it always like this? Why TAC? Why support bundle for the product that is advertized everywhere as the best succesor for ACS? I have never logged in to GUI after I installed it as VM. I'm not entitled for the TAC support because this is Cisco NFR VM based ISE image that we bought for 20 user licenses.

The Cisco ISE partner bundle provides a Cisco ISE VMware image with perpetual license for basic and advanced services for 20 endpoint devices. This software bundle is for customer demonstration purposes only and is not intended to be used in production environments or for proof of concept or resale.

ISE-1.0.4.573

I need to deploy a real ISE for a client soon and wanted to get some experience with it for wireless environment.

If you havent logged into the gui then that may be your problem the initial credentials are admin/cisco, once you get in then see if you can reset the password.

I understand the frustrations of opening a TAC case and providing the logs but I havent come across this issue before, I have setup plenty of virtual machines for customer recreates and this one is a new one.

Thanks,

Tarik Admani

Hi Tarik,

I'm not aiming my frustrations at you personally. And I'm REALLY REALLY grateful for your willingness to help.

The problem is that I tried every possible credentials to login to GUI, including admin/cisco. The VM image that came from Cisco had this:

Login                                              Name       Password

Command-line interface (CLI)     admin       default1A

Graphical user interface (GUI)    admin       default1A

I successfully logged into CLI using the above said and then I reset it CLI admin by saying

username admin password plain [PASSWORD] role admin

Now go figure is "admin" username the same for CLI and GUI or it is different the way it is in ACS?

No I understand where you are coming from, you just want it to work. Are these virtual machines configured like an out of the box configuration? I havent had these files in my posession so I dont know what is in them. What you should consider is resetting the ise configuration 'application reset-config ise' reenter the database passwords and once the services start back up then try to login with admin/cisco. If that is not an option give me some time to get a better answer for you.

Thanks,

Tarik Admani

One more question what are you virtual machine specs are you running 2GB memory or 4GB memory?

Thanks

Tarik Admani

Regarding the first time login error, I have experienced it once and it was down to the incorrect time during installation.  I was doing an offline installation (without any ntp). after installation, I sent to to DC and when it was plugged it to the next then the time of  3395 changed and since then it didn't allowed to login. I had to do an ise reset. but the may not apply to you as you have to parter's version.

Regarding the vm question, I tried installing it on 2GB and it wouldn't install.

aqjaved
Level 3
Level 3

Verifying the Configuration using a Web Browser

To verify that the configuration of an ISE-3300 series appliance was successful and that the username and password are valid, perform the following:

Step 1  After the ISE appliance reboot has completed, launch one of the supported web browsers.

Step 2  In the Address: field, type in the IP address of the ISE appliance using the following format, and press Enter.

http:///admin/

For example, using http://10.10.10.10/admin/ displays the Administrator Login page.

Step 3  In the Administrator Login page, enter the username and password you configured using Setup, and click Log In.

This displays the Cisco Identity Services Engine main window.

Verifying the Configuration using the CLI

To verify that the configuration of an ISE-3300 series appliance was successful and that the username and password are valid, perform the following:

Step 1  After the ISE appliance reboot has completed, launch a supported product for establishing an SSH connection to the ISE appliance (for example, using PuTTY).

Step 2  In the Host Name (or IP Address) field, type in the hostname (or the IP address of the ISE appliance using dotted decimal formation), and click Open to display the system prompt for the ISE appliance.

Step 3  At the login as prompt, enter the username you configured during Setup, and press Enter.

Step 4  At the password prompt, enter the password you configured during Setup, and press Enter.

Step 5  To verify that the application has been installed properly, at the system prompt enter show application version ise and press Enter.

992 build shows CPM, will be fixed in hardening (filed bug CSCti58268); figures shown are approximations.

The console displays:

Note:

The build number may change for different versions of this release.

Step 6  To check the status of the ISE processes, at the system prompt by entering show application status ise, and press Enter. The console displays:

Note:

To get the latest ISE patches and to keep your ISE up-to-date, visit the following website: http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/ise1_patches

Please Check the below link which may helpful for you in configuration:

Link-1

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/ise/1.0beta/installation_guide/cise_postins.html#wp1158742

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: