cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

License Enforcement in New Model

bobcat
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I have read the admin guide for license topic, but I got confused about license enforcement.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/3-1/admin_guide/b_ise_admin_3_1/b_ISE_admin_31_licensing.html

From the guide, it says

"If the use of all three Tier licenses is out of compliance for 45 days, administrative control of Cisco ISE is lost until you register the correct licenses. You will be able to access only the Licensing window in the Cisco ISE administration portal until the correct licenses are registered. However, Cisco ISE continues to handle authentications. "

• How does it count the noncompliance? Consecutive?
  • If I purchased 100-249 sessions Essentials license, I have 250 active sessions in Day 1-10, then 200 sessions in Day 11, will the violation reset the count?

Thanks all in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @bobcat ,

IMO it's a consecutive 45 days.

Note: to reset all Active Session:

ise/admin# application configure ise
Selection configuation option
[1] Reset M&T Session Database

Hope this helps !!!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi @bobcat ,

if on Day 11:

. you only have 200 Active Sessions, then you are "License Compliant"

. you add 200 more Active Sessions (now you have 450 Active Sessions, but only 249 Licenses), then you start the "noncompliant License period" caused by the "noncompliant License consumption" of 201 Active Sessions (that you don't have the License).

Note: the licensing alarm is displayed for about 60 days from the first occurrence of non-compliant license use, even if you fix the licensing issue by registering the necessary licenses.

Hope this helps !!!

Thanks @Marcelo Morais ,

but do you know how the enforcement of 45 days "noncompliant License period" counts? If I have 44 days noncompliant license usage, then become compliant on day 45 but noncompliant again on day 46, will the noncompliant license usage being enforced (i.e. cannot access the normal webUI) on day 46?

If the admin guide states 45 days of noncompliant license usage within X days, it will be much more helpful...

Hi @bobcat ,

IMO it's a consecutive 45 days.

Note: to reset all Active Session:

ise/admin# application configure ise
Selection configuation option
[1] Reset M&T Session Database

Hope this helps !!!

Thank you @Marcelo Morais , I do think this is the sensible deduction. You even give me an extra bonus, lucky me! Thanks.