Views
Helpful
Replies

MacOS AnyConnect posture install: Remove VPN Module

KelvinT
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Has anyone installed AnyConnect ISE compliant module AND successfully removed the VPN module?  I have followed the instructions on the link below without success.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/anyconnect48/administration/guide/b_AnyConnect_Administrator_Guide_4-8/deploy-anyconnect.html#ID-1425-0000015f

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

AnyConnect is first and foremost a VPN client. 8-)

It just happens to have additional services on top of that.

If you only want posture capabilities and nothing else, consider the ISE 3.0 Agentless Posture option.

How To: Agentless Posture Configuration, validation & Troubleshooting

What's New in ISE 3.0 Webinar [YouTube]

17:02 Agentless Posture on Windows & macOS

21:20 Demo: Agentless Posture on Windows & macOS

View solution in original post

The same applies to Windows. The VPN module is part of the AnyConnect Core package. I think what you'll find is that the VPN/Core module is actually installed on your Windows clients, but the VPN tile is simply hidden by applying the 'VPNDisable_ServiceProfile.xml' profile during install as per the Admin Guide.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Has anyone installed AnyConnect ISE compliant module AND successfully removed the VPN module?  I have followed the instructions on the link below without success.

-In order to utilize additional anyconnect modules such as ISE posture module you have to have the AnyConnect secure mobility client installed.  This is the AnyConnect core package.  

HTH!

Hi Mike and thanks for your reply.

Yes that much I know and successfully installed AnyConnect ISE module including the core.

My question is have anyone done this and successfully do it without the VPN module installed.  This is for MacOS.  Windows is fine.

AnyConnect is first and foremost a VPN client. 8-)

It just happens to have additional services on top of that.

If you only want posture capabilities and nothing else, consider the ISE 3.0 Agentless Posture option.

How To: Agentless Posture Configuration, validation & Troubleshooting

What's New in ISE 3.0 Webinar [YouTube]

17:02 Agentless Posture on Windows & macOS

21:20 Demo: Agentless Posture on Windows & macOS

Hi Thomas and thanks for your reply.

Does that also apply to Windows?  I am able to successfully  Install ISE posturing without the vpn module in windows.

The same applies to Windows. The VPN module is part of the AnyConnect Core package. I think what you'll find is that the VPN/Core module is actually installed on your Windows clients, but the VPN tile is simply hidden by applying the 'VPNDisable_ServiceProfile.xml' profile during install as per the Admin Guide.

Nice!  Thanks Greg, thanks Thomas.