cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum Username Length for Random Guest Accounts

Charlie Moreton
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I was showing a demo of generating Random Guest Accounts today and in my head I said, “wow, that’s a long username”.  As soon as I did, the customer(s) complained about the length of the username, too.

I was using a prefix, but a randomly generated 15 character username is quite long.

Is there a way for me to ask for an enhancement request without a TAC Case?

guest1.png

It seems it might be possible to add this option under the Characters Allowed in Randomly-Generated Usernames from the screenshot below and would make a lot of sense.

guest2.jpg

If I am missing something and this is possible today, please let me know.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Charles, I am talking about 'Minimum alphanumeric' not 'Minimum Username length' field. Two are in conflict. You just need to make sure 'Minimum alphanumeric' is lower than 'Minimum Username length'.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

howon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to reduce the 'Minimum alphanumeric' to 5 or less in the guest username policy settings and should work as expected.

It is currently set to 5 as show in the screen grab above.  I don't understand how setting the minimum length to 5 or less will shorten the maximum length.

Charles, I am talking about 'Minimum alphanumeric' not 'Minimum Username length' field. Two are in conflict. You just need to make sure 'Minimum alphanumeric' is lower than 'Minimum Username length'.

Perfect.  This helps out a lot.  Basically whatever value you have in the Minimum username length:* is appended to the end of the username Prefix set in the Sponsor Portal.  What this means is:

guest3.PNG

Combined with this

guest5.PNG

Gives you this:

guest4.PNG

Which is a LOT more manageable.  3 characters added to the end of the Prefix is PERFECT.

Thank you for the guidance, Hosuk.

Charles Moreton