cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

My Device Portal

tolarosa@cisco.com
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have a customer that wants to use the my devices portal for student dorms to onboard their echo's, phones, etc.  I was wondering if this would consume a Plus License?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

IN the ordering guide it’s explained somewhat

Clarification is that Registered devices consume a plus license upon connection

when you register a device using the portal then it’s put into registered device group 

basically if you’re using the portal then you are obligated to pay for it

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

RichardAtkin
Level 3
Level 3

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

The answer is it depends. Let me explain. When you use MyDevice portal, it will add devices into RegisteredDevices by default. As soon as you create an authorization policy matching this group, you'll consume a PLUS license.

Now if you create a new endpoint group which shouldn't be child of RegisteredDevices or any profiling groups (just simple group without any parent group) and use this one to be used with MyDevice portal, you shouldn't consume any PLUS license but just a base.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

That’s great, but (a) try explaining that to a customer, and (b) this feels like a workaround that Cisco could easily close with a software update (unless Cisco have documented this is a valid thing to do somewhere?). Personally I’d just play it safe and get some PLUS licenses.

Not documented for the portal but for the group you can found it i believe on a doc that some groups consume plus licenses.
This is something I've tested for a particular case and we saw that plus weren't consumed (don't recall the ise version).
Officially you're right, the way to take is to get some plus licenses.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

IN the ordering guide it’s explained somewhat

Clarification is that Registered devices consume a plus license upon connection

when you register a device using the portal then it’s put into registered device group 

basically if you’re using the portal then you are obligated to pay for it

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: