Views
Helpful
Replies

Need your inputs on ISE Hardware to VM migration and pre-requisite

eahmed.ext
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All ,

We have 8 Nodes in our ISE deployment .We are planning to migration 3 ISE which is running on Hardware SNS-3515-K9 with version 2.4 to VM Machine . As a pre-requisite , We need your inputs to know the best practice and other consequence to migrate this Hardware Nodes to VM .

Please can you tell me whether we need to register these 3 VM Nodes separately as part of this migration ? Do we need to deregister existing Nodes and register it again as we are planning to use same ip address for management .

For your information , one of the Node from 3 Nodes are using SAN with PSN , other one Node is PSN and secondary monitoring Node .

In addition , we would like to know your inputs on this plan and other concerns and impact for this migration activities .

with regards 

Erfan

6 Replies 6

Hi @ahollifield ,

Thanks for your reply .

As we are planning to migrate the hardware to VM and then we will go for version upgrade to 3.1 or later .But I will do it phase by phase considering impact of existing Infrastructure .

As a migration plan , I  would like to know the best practice and other consideration before migration from Hardware to VM .For your information , I am planning to install existing version 2.4 is in 3 VM machine using different mgmt ip address and during the maintenance  window I will deregister those ISE Hardware Node from existing deployment and shut down those Hardware Nodes  and then I will reconfigure those 3 VM Nodes with those existing MGMT ip address using " reset-config " and register with deployment with same FQDN name  and role .

For your information , Existing 3 Hardware Nodes has self-signed certificate for Admin,Portal,EAP Authenticaiton,RADIUS DTLS . do you think that I need to upload this existing self-signed certificate or I can create new self-signed certificate as soon as I register 3 ISE VM Nodes with same FQDN name .

Please can you share inputs on my above plan  to proceed with this migration plan .

with regards 

Erfan

Why not deploy 3.0 and import 2.4 backup instead? https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-knowledge-base/ise-version-upgrade-matrix/ta-p/3653501

Then upgrade from 3.0 to 3.1, 3.2, or 3.3.

Why is a self-signed certificate being used?  What is this ISE deployment actually doing?

Hi @ahollifield ,

As an alternative migration approach , I am thinking to migrate those 3 Hardware Nodes to VM using cisco ISE recommended version 3.1 and then create  New  deployment cluster with version 3.1 and upload the configuration backup to newly created cluster . However , Backup and restore method from version 2.4 doesn't support version 3.1 .So do you think whether  I need to upgrade 1st from 2.4 to 2.7 and then 3.1 ? 

On other hand , If I migrate these 3 Nodes into ISE version 3.1 then I will put all those Nodes in Evaluation license and then I can upgrade other Nodes from existing cluster and join those nodes into new deployment cluster .

Please can you provide your inputs whether this migration approach is suitable or not ? 

with regards 

Erfan

@eahmed.ext The backup taken from ISE 2.4 cannot be restored to an ISE 3.1, because ISE 2.4 cannot upgrade directly to 3.1. Take a look at Cisco Identity Services Engine Upgrade Journey, Release 3.1 

BTW, ISE 3.2 is the current recommended release.

I can see why not changing straight to 3 as the licensing needs to be changed etc. I just moved from 3595's to 3765's Saturday, but we are already on 3.1 and smart licensing.

My suggestion would be to bring up, patch, and wait to register for the switchover. I'm not sure what registering and deregistering would get you other than a longer maint period.

What you want to verify.

Licensing, Appliance is licensed, VM has it's own that would be needed. I don't remember if 2.4 is smart licensed, but if not Cisco will not move the licensing from the appliance to the VM. If smart licensed you should be fine except for needing the VM licenses.