cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Access Manager and WiFi

Alex Pfeil
Level 7
Level 7

I have a computer that is a member of a domain.  The computer has Network Access Manager and Cisco Secure Mobility Client VPN  modules loaded.  I have the computer setup to authenticate to the network before it connects to the domain.  This is working fine.

When a user brings their computer home, they are unable to connect to their wireless network.  I tried adding some wifi authentication in Network Access Manager, but that did not fix the issue.  I am still going to do some reading up on this issue, but I was hoping that somebody could give me some input if they have any experience?

I need for people to be able to authenticate to the network when they are at work, and VPN when they are at home.

Thanks,

Alex Pfeil

4 Replies 4

Jatin Katyal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You mean you have start before feature (SBL) enabled and its working fine as long as you're at work. I guess I have seen this before. 

What I read in an internal enhancement request that Cisco AnyConnect 3.0 Start Before Logon (SBL) does not work with user created personal networks.  NAM establishes connections with user created network profiles only after user logon, and consequently there will be no network connectivity at the time Start Before Logon executes.

What version of NAM are you using?

Jatin Katyal
- Do rate helpful posts -

~Jatin

The VPN is not being used at work.  Just the Network Access Manager.  Start Before Logon VPN module is not installed on the computer.

At home, the user can login to the computer using cached credentials, but then they cannot connect to the wireless network because of the (I think) NAM.

Is the user using the AnyConnect client to connect to their wireless network?

No, the way that I am trying to set it up is:

1. a user should be able to login to their computer
  2. connect to their wireless network
  3. and then start the VPN. 

I was thinking that the NAM should not be involved since their wireless network is not setup to require authentication.