Views
Helpful
Replies

Network device list

shisaraf2011
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a new ISE deployment setup for TACACS which I need to migrate close to 10000 devices in my network. Is it better to add the devices individually to ISE or group them in logical grouping?

Any best practice will greatly help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paul
Level 10
Level 10

I prefer to give the customer ultimate flexibility when setting up ISE so I import all the devices into ISE.  I haven't done 10,000 but I have done several 1000.  You should be using the import feature and crafting a CSV file in the correct format to import your devices. 

The key components should be:

1. Device Types- define the different types of devices the customer has.  I usually base my TACACS policy sets around device types (switches, routers, WLC, etc.)
  2. Locations- define the customer locations to allow for reporting specific to a location or allow for location specific rules to be created.
  3. Network Devices- put in each network device assigning them to the correct device type and location.  Putting in the individual device type allows the customer to run reports or filter live logs down to a specific device.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

paul
Level 10
Level 10

I prefer to give the customer ultimate flexibility when setting up ISE so I import all the devices into ISE.  I haven't done 10,000 but I have done several 1000.  You should be using the import feature and crafting a CSV file in the correct format to import your devices. 

The key components should be:

1. Device Types- define the different types of devices the customer has.  I usually base my TACACS policy sets around device types (switches, routers, WLC, etc.)
  2. Locations- define the customer locations to allow for reporting specific to a location or allow for location specific rules to be created.
  3. Network Devices- put in each network device assigning them to the correct device type and location.  Putting in the individual device type allows the customer to run reports or filter live logs down to a specific device.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: