cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pane is dead trying to to a reimages

dtwoods83
Level 1
Level 1

After having several issues with the Admin node. I reimaged the node. Using the CIMC kvm, I loaded the ISO to map the drive and started the installation process. After about 4 hours I get Pane is dead. I have tried to reboot the server and the cold boot the software.  Is there anything else I can try or contact Tac? 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

@dtwoods83 I'm saying that when you reimage via the CIMC KVM emulator, you should choose the serial console option in the installation menu. If you choose the keyboard/monitor option by mistake it will have the effect that you are seeing - it works to a point and then just stops.

How do I know? I made that mistake myself once and waited a day to no avail.

View solution in original post

ComputerRick
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You should use a jump box. 

Please consider updating your firmware, if needed, and files are located here:  https://software.cisco.com/download/home/283801620/type/283802505/release/SNS%2035x5.

The pane is dead, from my experience is often caused by a timeout between the KVM and server.

Find a computer local to the ISE appliance, load the ISO there and then connect, then try again.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What hardware platform are you working with and which ISO image file did you use?

Can you provide a screen shot of the error yo are seeing?

Ise-2.7.0.356.SPA.x86_64.iso

SNS-3595-K9

Cimc

Version: 3.0(3S2)

all the other servers are on patch 6 

If you have not done so already, I would suggest the following:

1. Confirm the file hash for the ISO file you are mounting matches the ones found on the download site to ensure there is no file corruption.
  2. Check all server health information in the CIMC for any warning or alerts (like disk Smart errors) that would indicate a hardware fault.
  3. If you are mounting the ISO from a long distance or high-latency connection, try mounting it from a location close to the server. In the past, I have had the ISO copied to a local jumphost in the DC, connected to the CIMC from there and mounted/booted the ISO file to perform the install.
  4. If all else fails, please open a TAC case to investigate further.

The oraclesw steps can take quite a long time - over an hour even when the mounted ISO is on a machine on the same network as the CIMC. More if it is on a remote network.

Did you select "serial console" as your installation method?

Reference: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/3-0/install_guide/b_ise_InstallationGuide30/b_ise_InstallationGuide27_chapter_010.html#installise

I was using Cisco ISE Installation (Keyboard/Monitor) . I follow similar steps for 2.7

You should use the serial console option, not the Keyboard/Monitor one.

I am currently remote. I may have someone on site that could. I was thinking of doing boot from USB

@dtwoods83 I'm saying that when you reimage via the CIMC KVM emulator, you should choose the serial console option in the installation menu. If you choose the keyboard/monitor option by mistake it will have the effect that you are seeing - it works to a point and then just stops.

How do I know? I made that mistake myself once and waited a day to no avail.

Once I booted from the USB there where no issues. I will keep in mind to do from serial next time. 

ComputerRick
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You should use a jump box. 

Please consider updating your firmware, if needed, and files are located here:  https://software.cisco.com/download/home/283801620/type/283802505/release/SNS%2035x5.

The pane is dead, from my experience is often caused by a timeout between the KVM and server.

Find a computer local to the ISE appliance, load the ISO there and then connect, then try again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: