Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX / RADIUS Authentication

mdekkers
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are currently working on setting up a PIx using RADIUS Authentication. we are wondering about the following:

How does HTTP authentication work on the PIX? are the users prompted once a day for a password? everytime they open the browser? everytime they visit a new website? (this is about the user experience). Also, with only HTTP, FTP, and Telnet Authentication, how will the PIX authenticate for example an ICQ session?

thanks!

Martijn

2 Replies 2

cdbush
Level 1
Level 1

The PIX will authenticate based on a combination of source and destination IP addresses and port numbers. This means every session will be authenticated

wdrootz
Level 4
Level 4

I’ve actually done some research on this because it was quite confusing for me as well. From what I gathered the PIX prompts for a username and password via HTTP, Telnet, or FTP and then passes those credentials on to your AAA server. After you get authenticated it caches that user information by source IP address for a pre-determined (configurable) amount of time (timeout uauth). The user must authenticate via one of those three methods before attempting any other application or the session will fail.

Hope this helps you out.